ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

First deer for the year.

(1/2) > >>

220:
First deer of the season is hanging in the cool room.
Quite a few deer species in Aus, some states list them as feral so you can hunt year round. My state lists them a game animals and has hunting seasons for species that have a fixed rut. Season length is generous (Mar-Oct) species without a fixed rut can be hunted year round.

I spend a fair bit of time chasing the local sambar and fallow populations through winter usually without a lot of luck. I seem to shoot more deer when Im not looking for them and they just appear while doing stuff around the farm.
A sambar spiker appeared yesterday and son had brought along my 240wby so managed to close the distance to about 50y and he put one high through the lungs. Estimate there is probably 200-250lb of prime venison hanging in the cool room.

Sambar are the biggest deer species in Aus similar in size to elk.

divemaster1963:
pics please.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

stung again:
I thought your gov. confiscated all the guns in your country. I guess I thought wrong. Glad to hear you can still hunt.

220:
Didn't take any pics, seeing it was a freezer filler not a trophy.

We didn't loose everything although we are limited on what we can own, there are still over 1 million firearms owners from a pop of about 24mil. Self defence isn't a valid reason for ownership but the in some regards we are better off than some US states. I could purchase a bolt action 50bmg if I so desired without any trouble.
With wife and kids firearms I think there are over a dozen rifles, 4 shotguns and 6 or 7 handguns currently in my safe, not to bad for a country that has been disarmed.   :wink:

jalentour:
Is this a summer season for you right now? 
Just curious what kind of deer you are hunting?
Is it native to Australia?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version