9 (7%)
Veil & gloves
23 (17.8%)
Veil only
20 (15.5%)
Other
18 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Bee Suits?  (Read 44130 times)

Offline lomatia

• New Bee
Re: Bee Suits?
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2015, 12:54:00 am »
I, like Richard M, have a Dunc's Honey suit. Ventilated front and back. Took the fencing veil off to wash it and we spent about an hour getting it reattached!!!!

I've noticed that you have to have the neck zippers really overlapped well as the little beggars will get in.
I usually suit up if doing some serious work on the hives ...... robbing, getting into the brood box etc, especially with my more excitable girls; but then I know which ones they are!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2015, 06:30:50 pm »
I know this topic is a little old but I wanted to chime in..

My mentor used to only wear a veil. he said it was always too hot to wear all of that protective clothing. One day (before I started working with him) he lifted a hive body off the hive and it broke and fell apart. He took around 250 stings and almost died before he could get to help. After that, he always wore a jacket veil. That's what I wear along with jeans. I wear gloves most of the time because stings in my hands seem to hurt and itch worse than anywhere else. When I first got into beekeeping there seemed to be this badge of honor about getting stung. Now, I have been stung quite a few times and it still hurts. not as bad as the first time but there is still pain there. I say why take a chance? You can have the most gentle bees in the world but if a super falls apart or something else happens to get them stirred up, it isn't worth dying over to be cool and look cool. Getting stung up not only hurts, its not only dangerous, but it also makes bad press and discourages people from getting into beekeeping.

Just my humble opinion...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2015, 03:26:43 pm »
I have tyvec painters jump suit. Cost $10 big box store. Some I cut the legs short so I can put it on with my shoes on. A long sleeve dress shirt with collar up under veil works pretty good/ Have and use hood veil that fits over ball cap or cowboy hat. Cheap rubber gloves from dollar store. Also have chemical gloves from harbor freight that go to arm pit for when bees are extra  mean,cost less  than $10.  To see eggs I remove  veil.  If everything is going smooth and hot out I wear less.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2015, 06:12:13 am »
I used tyvec suits to remove poison ivy once. Hotter then hell and did not breath at all. I was soaked in sweat after 5 minutes. I can't imagine wearing it as a bee suit. I only use a ventilated jacket for bees. Not sure what I will do if I get a hot hive. Probably just wear long pants with my jacket rather than shorts.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2015, 01:26:38 am »
I wear a white cotton shirt I bought at a thrift store for $1.50 and put velcro on the collar to keep it closed.
I put on a veil and a pair of gloves when working a hot hive.
I put a bunge strap around my waist to keep bees from crawling up my shirt and it's something to tie my veil strings too.
I also put straps around my ankles to keep them gals from going up my britches legs.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2023, 07:02:47 am »
Once you've seen how quickly a hive can mobilize, I think you will want to wear at least a veil.  A awful lot of bees can sting you in a very short amount of time and it can be a hive that has been gentle up until then.

That's true!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2023, 10:53:04 am »
I almost always wear a jacket with a zip on veil, and gloves, which I guess is "other:
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2023, 11:57:33 am »
I currently only have a veil but I figure I'll get a jacket before I get my bees. For now, I'm cruising fakebook marketplace and craigs list looking for deals. If need bee, I'll buy brand new when the time comes.