Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Repairing buckled supers  (Read 1896 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Repairing buckled supers
« on: December 22, 2018, 03:17:03 am »
I've got this super to fix:

https://imgur.com/a/R8cVv80

I'm not sure if it's damaged beyond being fixable. The wood sides are buckled out of place. I have two clamps that I can use to help push the sides back into place, I could then use glue and screws to try and put it back together.

I could tear it apart and separate the four sides, and then maybe see if I can somehow flatten them.

Not too sure how to go about fixing this either way. Let me know if you guys have any thoughts on what the best approach would be. If I manage to fix the super it'll be sitting in an urban backyard under shelter so doesn't need to be perfect.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Repairing buckled supers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 09:02:01 am »
I would put your clamps on it and replace the nails with long screws.
You will need to check to see if the bottom and top are still flat.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 08:01:42 pm »
2nd Jim's remarks.  If feasible, go ahead & disassemble, clean joints the glue, clamp & screw. Like Jim said ck for level. I do it all the time.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:49:21 pm »
A tip I was taught by an old cabinet maker never screw the screws in straight with the grain of the wood. angle them 5 to 15 degrees try to miss or just let a very little bit of screw show on the inside corner.  This makes a stronger joint even with a box joint.  Set the screw to start it as far from  from the end as is practical; this is old stuff most woodworkers know, but not all BEEKs are woodworkers.  I use all deck screws on my hives to prevent rust.  Merry Christmas ALL.