Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic or wooden frames  (Read 3724 times)

Offline halexaron

• New Bee
Plastic or wooden frames
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:52:39 pm »
New to beekeeping, expecting 2 nucs this spring.  Just finished making 2 10 frames langstroth hives,  Now I just need to buy frames.  However I am stuck with information overload with respect to wooden frames ( wax or plastic foundation) or just all plastic.  HELP!!!!!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Plastic or wooden frames
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:05 pm »
I'll make it more confusing... :)

How about Mann Lake PF100s (assuming you have deeps, which I would not, I'd have mediums and buy PF120s) and after you have one box of drawn comb from these you'll have small cells.  After that you can do foundationless...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:29 pm »
The nucs will most likely come with wooden frames and I would not mix plastic with wood. I have read that plastic allows small beetles better places to hide.  I personally like wood, but thats what I have used for many years.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:57:24 pm »
>I would not mix plastic with wood.

I don't think I have a single box that doesn't have a mixture of plastic and wood in it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:15:32 pm »
I vote wood frame plastic foundation.
I use Mann Lake.
Bad luck with plastic frame. 

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:38:07 pm »
>I would not mix plastic with wood.

I don't think I have a single box that doesn't have a mixture of plastic and wood in it...

Same here...

I think, just starting out, that the plastic foundation in wooden frames is the easiest way to go.  But, as Mr. Bush said, if you so desire, you can start putting foundation-less frames in between.
   I have hives that I dropped PF120's into, because I had nothing else with me at the time..  These are small cell frames, dropped into a large cell hive... naturally, I promptly forgot where I put them, and when I did find them, they were drawn and filled with brood...  So I left them right where they were.
   It has been my experience, that if you give bees a choice of frames..  IE; A foundation-less frame, a wooden frame with wax foundation, a wooden frame with plastic foundation, and al ALL plastic frame...  the bees choose the foundationless frame to draw first, then the wood/wax frame, then the wood/plastic, and when forced will draw the plastic frame...   However, when you dont give them a choice, and give them all plastic, they get it drawn out...
   So basically.. CHOOSE what you want to use.. and if you decide to change in the future, it will always be an option!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 02:28:57 pm »
I agree that with the crevices it gives hive beetles a place to hide with plastic, I dont know how many are too many, I hate seeing any, and its hard to crush em when they are in those crevices on the side. if hive beetles dont bother you, then plastic is much easier to deal with, I have both, but have alot of foundationless on wood also. Good Luck. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 03:40:37 pm »
I'd say start with wood frames and plastic foundation.  Add at little more wax to the plastic before installing.  I started with my first bees last year and chose to go with all plastic frames/foundation.  I will not say that it was the wrong choice but will say that I could have made much better choices.  Plastic frames in the brood nest seemed to work okay - once you get the bees to draw them out.  They do feel flimsy to handle though.

I have had a few plastic frames full of honey bend sideways and a couple that sagged down to sit on top of the frames in the next box down.  I do not have to contend with hive beetles yet so all of my hives are shaded from the midday Sun.

I will not be getting rid of the plastic frames but I will not be buying any more of them.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:14:26 pm »
Thats interesting. I never had that problem with plastic, the ones I have seem to be very sturdy. I dont know what brand they are they were all given to me, but I will say, deeps full of honey or brood never had that issue. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"