Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Resin Paperweight  (Read 1431 times)

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
Queen Resin Paperweight
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:09:40 pm »
I lost a hive the other day and found the queen.  I was thinking of doing a paperweight with the queen in it.  Make it out of a plastic resin mold.  Has anyone done this?

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Queen Resin Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:35:02 pm »
I haven't, but the idea appeals to me.  I would use the cheap candle molds of a bee in the Hobby Lobby.  Pour it half full of the resin and then with two tweezers, manipulate the queen into the proper shape if not already done.   Then finish filling and put some green felt on the bottom.   I would love if someone could tell me it wouldn't work that way????

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:42:02 pm »
When I was a kid I had a weekend job casting little sea creatures in resin molds for a company that was owned by a friend of my parents. I used a product that was called "thix". It was an epoxy resin that needed to be warmed on a hot plate so that it became very thin and pourable and would seep into all of the cracks and crevasses easily. I had to dab it onto very intricate shapes (like small crabs etc) with a small brush so that bubbles would float out more easily and vibrate the mold when poured to dislodge the bubbles;

I also poured "clackers" anyone remember those?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:06:43 am »
It is a cool idea.  I wish there was some way to get her to look like a queen instead of a shriveled up insect... I'm afraid as soon as they hit the resin, if they were alive, they would curl up, and when you find them dead, of course, they already have curled up...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:16:07 pm »
If she is somewhat fresh, pin her to a foam board with the legs properly set and let her dry out. Then try the resin.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:11:27 pm »
I remember those clackers ..... and so does my wrist !  :shock:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:21:36 pm »
Rookie,
Did you try making the paper weight and if so how did it work out?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything