Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queenless  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Cobber

• Brood
Queenless
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:32:01 am »
Gday everyone old Cobber here from SA and fairly new to the bees after a very long interest have taken the step a few months ago by getting 2 hives.
 Anyways i have a question for all you knowledgeable people here as i have had a tree limb crush one of my hives and thankfully missing my other. I had another empty box in the shed so got to work quickly as its not the warmest here at the moment to gather as many of the bees i could, which i think i done a pritty darn good job i thought but in the process i just could not locate the boss. I searched pritty darn hard for her to no avail. I put some brood comb, not much into new frames and some honey comb and again not much due to the darn red gum limb.
So my question is should i just do nothing and hope for the best due to now coming into winter or is there something else i should be doing, keeping note its coming into winter so buying a new queen would be rather difficult now i would presume.

Cheers
 cobber

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Queenless
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:58:17 am »
Check 4 or 5 days after the accident for eggs. If you find eggs, close up and feed until the hive weighs 50 kilo. If no eggs after 4 or 5 days, combine hive with the other hive with newspaper between the boxes.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Cobber

• Brood
Re: Queenless
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 06:53:47 pm »
Noworries thanks mate, so im on the right path then. At least the girls have settled down now in the spare box i had as i got people coming to help remove the rest of the tree and fix my shed as the gutter , side was damaged also.

anything