Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mssouri Valley, Iowa Cut Out  (Read 3588 times)

Offline rgrbecvar

• New Bee
Mssouri Valley, Iowa Cut Out
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:57 pm »
Recently I conducted a Cut out in Missouri Valley, Iowa and as I talked to the home owner she told me the bees had been in her living room ceiling for about three years and she was getting ready to sell her house. They were nice gentle bees entering through the West side between the sill plate and second floor of the walk out home. When I lifted the suspended ceiling they were right in front of me. The right side was all honey and it was about 5 1/2 ft long between the joists and the left side was about 6 ft long all bees and brood. Well it took along time roughly about 9 hours but we successfully managed to get all the bees, honey and comb out and relocated back to my bee yard. So we managed to get roughly 350lbs all total out of this job. Now we have another one to do in Windsor Heights, Iowa bees inside an upstairs bedroom wall this next Wednesday. I also picked up a swarm at the Pilot Truck Stop a commercial Beekeeper truck net leaked at a pumping station and they're doing fine the same day I did the first cut out mentioned here. Yesterday I pulled in all my swarm traps and low and behold found a swarm in one of my traps as well. Well I tried to post picture of this removal but was told to remove it because my posting count is to low. Sorry I'll post it later then.

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:13:41 pm »
I can't wait to see.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: Mssouri Valley, Iowa Cut Out
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 12:20:30 am »
Sounds good rgrbecvar! Looking forward to the pics as well. It is going to take some work to get them ready for winter in our area. You going to winter them in Nucs or try to build them up?
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:24:23 am »
RGR,
That was one huge hive. We're you able to get the queen? She is a keeper. If not I hope you were able to save some eggs for them to make a new q from her genetics.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:30:03 pm »
Truck stop bees are most likely queenless and will need a queen or very young open brood so they can make one. Or, if they haven't already on their own, you can combine them with a queen right colony.

Good luck.   ....Don

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »
As a fellow Iowa resident good luck with your bees!  That cutout sounds like a keeper for sure.  Once they settle in make sure you got a queen in there, and make sure they have plenty of stores for winter.  How far east are you willing to travel?  I am near Cedar Rapids, and I also do cutouts and swarms.  Sometimes I will get a call from out west that is just too far for me to go to.  If I get calls like that I would be happy to refer them to you if you would return the favor.  DesMoines is as far as I would go for a good cutout, a swarm would have to be closer as they could take off before I could get there (Unless it was massive and close to dark where there would be a good chance of them still being there. And, of course, not yellow jackets.  :roll:)

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline rgrbecvar

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:49:02 am »
Sorry about the delay getting back with the replies, but I've been busy cutting another hive out of a house in Windsor Heights, Iowa from a second story Bedroom wall. Regarding the Missouri Valley cut out yes I did get the queen and she's a hearty laying girl. As far as the Pilot Truck stop bees yes they were queenless and I had some reserve queens in my yard and introduced her to her new subjects. I tried to post some pics but since I'm a newer member to this site I got a message saying I can't post any until I show more activity. So the photos will be coming soon as I get more posts on Bee Master.Com. I've been building up the colonies strength and introducing frames of capped brood to bolster the hive population up and they're looking good so far. The recent Windsor Heights cut out I just completed I got a lot of bees out and a lot of brood comb (A Deep and a Medium full and part of another medium mostly full) and yep I got the queen as well. These look like they're Caucasian Bees from this job. But the hive was loaded with varroa mites so I've got strips in the hive and feeding them pollen patties and Heavy Sugar water. The frames with foundation that I introduced they're drawing out about the same as usual.  BTW I was up in Cedar Raipds about two weeks ago for my family reunion, Nice town.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 01:21:33 pm »
we know they will post the pics and vids for you

i forget the link