Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some directions, please  (Read 3537 times)

Offline jyounk

• Brood
Some directions, please
« on: May 14, 2007, 09:32:22 pm »
OK folks, I need some advice on regression technique here.

Got 2 new hives and started them with foundationless frames.  Shaved the frames down to fit 11 in each of the deep bodies.  Started frames in one hive with starter strips of Dadant 4.9 foundation, the other with beveled top bars like a top bar hive.  Have noticed no real difference in how fast they build comb, and both hives are building up with lots of capped brood.

So, what's next?  Add another deep body with the same type of foundationless frames?  Put entire sheets of 4.9 on the frames?  Measure the existing drawn comb and cut out the frames that are over 5.1mm?  Something needs to be done quickly, because these hives are due to start growing very rapidly.

Please, walk me through this process.

Thanks
Jim Younk

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Some directions, please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:16:08 pm »
I would put the same thing in. with or without full size foundation.
I "would not" cut any drawn comb out. Reguardless of what size.
The only time I cut drawn comb out is when it is misplaced, wild comb and comb built on a offsided foundation.  JMO
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Some directions, please
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:55:42 am »
I would add boxes as usual (when 80% full).  It's nice to have a drawn comb in a box full of starter strips for a ladder or put the box full of starter strips on the bottom so they can work down without needing a ladder.

Just continue like any hive until they are strong enough to handle a frame in the brood nest.  If you can pull out a frame on the end and make a gap in the brood nest the size of a frame and they can fill that with festooning bees within a few minutes, then they can handle an empty frame in the brood nest.  If you feed them into the brood nest you'll get either drone (depending on the time of year and the strength of the hive) or nice worker comb.  Next year, I'd start measuring more carefully (you can now for curiousity) and move the larger comb to the outside edges and the smaller to the center.  As you feed combs into the center (when they are strong enough) you'll get smaller combs and when you get to the point that the core of the brood nest is 4.9mm or smaller you've probably arrived.  Any intermediate sizes such as 5.0mm to 5.2mm can be used in other hives to save them having to build it.  When you have enough 4.9mm to give your unregressed hives 4.9mm it will go even quicker and then you can get rid of the larger sizes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything