Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ah, another acquisition -- that Black Cochin trio  (Read 7451 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Ah, another acquisition -- that Black Cochin trio
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:46:34 pm »
Loving keeping chickens, smiling.  I had the opportunity recently to purchase a trio of standard size Black Cochins.  These birds come from a fellow that I made contact with.  He has show quality birds and had a couple of trios of  Black Cochins for sale.  I was extremely impressed with is home and how he takes care of his birds.  He reminded me of me, well, except, there is indeed a gender difference.  His birds were beautiful, their homes well taken care of, and nice, friendly birds.  I made the transaction and took the three black birds home.  They have their own little home, full of lovely dry pine shavings.  My bee house (drats anyways) is now taken over by chickens.  My bee stuff is all up in Ken's garage, smiling, he has lots of extra room in there  :shock: :shock:.  Thankin' my lucky stars that I have the best Husband in the world.  A happy wife makes a happy life, and he knows that  ;) :) :) :).

Anyways, back to my story.  I plan to get into breeding cochins big time.  I have a trio of the Blue Cochins, you all have seen those pictures, and now a trio of Black.  When blue is bred to blue, the resulting offspring are 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash (which is like a lavender colour with black flecks).  When Black is bred to blue or splash, the resulting offspring are all blue.  So, that is what my plan is, to cross colour breed and get some lovely birds. 

I am getting some hatching eggs this weekend, setting more in the incubator.  I set 22 eggs in the sportsman last Sunday, so in like 2 weeks I will hopefully have another swack of little babies.  Man I love to look after baby chicks.

Enjoy these pictures, these are pretty birds and have the most docile and friendly attitude, very nice. Have that most wonderful day, love to live, share life, with great health. Cindi

This was the first day here:

This is the Blue and the Black Cochin roosters

This is Denzel (the Black Cochin) looking at Jimmy, the Buff Orpington rooster

Denzel, in all his glory

This is Jimmy, the Buff Orpington rooster.  He has to go to a new home because he wants to fight with everyone and is not very nice to the girls.  Think it may be just the breed, but it could be the personality, don't want those genes, I will find another nicer Buff when we move.  A friend of mine wants him, she doesn't mind what his temperament is like.

He is crowing, that is why his head is sticking up kind of funny.  He has had a little comb damage because he kept fighting with Ivan through the fence, until I fixed his wagon, by cutting some tarp about 2 feet tall and stringing it all along the fence, so they can't see each other  8-).  That is that camouflage tarp in the back that you see.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Ah, another acquisition -- that Black Cochin trio
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:53:50 pm »
Maybe Denzel is just frustrated. Have you let him get his groove on? You said he's mean to the ladies, but you know ladies like that. :lol: :evil: :-D

Yeah, go send him away like you did with Whoppo. :'( :-P

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:03:06 am »
JP, oh you crack me up.  Denzel is the black dude, Jimmy is the blonde dude, smiling.  Jimmy is a nasty one, (just like Whoppo, hee, hee).  The girls scream when he tries to get them, it is clear that they don't like him and are horrified by his behaviour  :?.    The other roosters have such a gentle manner, that the gals just crouch down flat, not a single sound, they like the other guys.  They hate Jimmy.  Just a bad egg, just like Whoppo.  Now I know that you have sympathy for Whoppo and Jimmy, but you are a man, hee, hee, I know that guys like to stick together  :-P :-P :-P  Have that wonderful, most awesomely good day, with that health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:12:47 am »
Ok, yep, I got my wires crossed, I meant to say Jimmy. I thought all Buffs were friendly, even the roosters, oh well. My two Buffs are Cindy and Goldy. Cindy was my favorite a few days or so ago but Goldy is now my favorite of the two, she's a sweet little thing.

Cindi, which chickens lay the largest eggs?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 12:17:07 am »
Oh JP, some roosters are nice, others not, there are probably some very nice and friendly buff roosters, I just don't have one, smiling.  No clue what lay the biggest eggs.  Probably one that is simply bred for egg production, like an Isa Brown, Black Star, Red Rock, think there are quite a few of them.  Have a beautiful day, life and health.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 12:19:06 am »
Hey Cindi, what name do you go by on BYC?

...JP

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 08:00:52 pm »
I've yet to meet a 'nice' Buff Orpington roo.  Stumpy was regal, a handsome rooster, huge, and mean as cat you-know-what.  He also was so huge he denuded all of my hens - that's 14 hens to one really randy rooster!  They're just now getting their feathers back.  The Golden Laced Wyandottes have been bare-fannied since the summer of 2008!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:41:16 pm »
Oh Ann, those poor girls, you would think that 14 would have been enough that he could have become a little happier with life, smiling.  Yes, this dude is pretty randy.  I guess that is the nature of the beast.  But I have had other really randy roosters, and never had them be mean like this dude is, everyone hates him.  Well, I did have a Barred Rock rooster that I got rid of too, he was so nasty, the same thing, only he was nasty to me....nope, ain't goin' there, he went somewhere really nice where he can be as nasty as he could ever want to be, smiling. I think it is the old, old, old original breeds like these.  But...there are others that are nice, and they are old breeds too, can't figure it, but guess it doesn't matter.  Beautiful days, with health. Cindi

anything