BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > HONEYBEE REMOVAL

Removing an open-air colony

<< < (2/2)

Flyin Brian:
I did an inspection yesterday.  I am happy to report there are eggs in the comb, so there's a laying queen in here somewhere:

The bees have been busy attaching the comb pieces to the frames and starting to chew the rubber bands off

There sure are a lot of bees :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KeyLargoBees:
You are probably goign to want to phase those banded frames out as soon as you can...those look like the beginnings of a huge mess with improper bee space and bridge comb.......ask me how I know ;-)

Thebulimicbee:

--- Quote from: KeyLargoBees on September 20, 2016, 04:18:03 pm ---You are probably goign to want to phase those banded frames out as soon as you can...those look like the beginnings of a huge mess with improper bee space and bridge comb.......ask me how I know ;-)

--- End quote ---

What you still save the comb from the cut out?

Captain776:
I have 8 of these open air hives 5 minutes from my house.
3 or 4 are 24 to 30" where they are attached to the tree limb, the bad part is, they are all 75 feet up in a Teak tree.
They will just have to stay in their natural habitat for now.

If I was younger and more adventurous, I could shoot an arrow over the limb, with a small string, then tie on a nylon rope and pull up a bait box and tie it off in the cluster of hives.
I can see all the Thai's out there now watching me..........what is that crazy foreigner doing?

Ben Framed:
A 2016 topic which is very interesting! Good one!!  I have not ran across an open air hive but I have heard and read of them here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version