Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: filters/ strainers for 5 gallon honey bucket- plastic or stainless steel?  (Read 8792 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
i see those plastic ones that fit in the bucket for a fraction of the price of the metal ones.. they worth it? will they last?
 i am looking to but once?

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Google 5 gallon paint strainers and check those prices.  I think you'll be suprised.  The home improvement stores carry these.  Hope this helps. 

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
Paint strainers
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:13:58 am »
The better quality paint strainers made from a fine mesh of polymeric materials do a really nice job.  They cost a couple of dollars at the local paint store.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee

Would have to agree with Brent on the filters.   And if you need anymore 5 gal buckets you can get food grade buckets for as little as $2.00 also local, lids extra.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
I run the plastic filters that fit in the top of the 5 gal buckets.   They work fine.  No worries.   

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
check the suggestion post I just made about the five gal honey strainer baskets. I like them but I takes a long time to strain dense dark honey thru the fine strainer. A hot trailer helps. I put mine on the table in my RV to get the heat up to help straining.

Offline Indiana Dave

• New Bee
  • Covered Bridge Honey Farm
Dave Cruser
Rockville, Indiana

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
Don't get the plastic strainers, there's a reason they're cheap. They don't last long after repeated use. If you only extract a couple times a year then use the paint strainers as mentioned. If you have allot of honey extracting going you may want to invest in the stainless strainers. Easy to use and clean up only takes a few minutes and they last forever.
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Don't get the plastic strainers, there's a reason they're cheap. They don't last long after repeated use. If you only extract a couple times a year then use the paint strainers as mentioned. If you have allot of honey extracting going you may want to invest in the stainless strainers. Easy to use and clean up only takes a few minutes and they last forever.
stainless it is.. thank you.. which one to get?i see a bunch with different price ranges! i am a buy once guy! i think the plastic ones take up to much room in tbucketett

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
i use a kitchen colander with the extendable handles (couple of bucks at goodwill) and for secondary straining, the paint strainers.  be creative and save money!   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
I bought the Mann Lake stainless "Double Sieve" filters. It has a larger screen on top with finer on the bottom. You can put a strainer cloth in between the two to really get it clean if you want. The sieves hold the strainer cloth in place so you don't have to worry about it falling in the bucket on a heavy pour. I think there around $40.00. If you buy some extra supers or whatever you need to total $100, then it's free shipping.
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

anything