Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Salutations from Kansas City  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Lee Bussy

• New Bee
Salutations from Kansas City
« on: August 17, 2021, 09:34:47 am »
"Salutations?"  Seems snooty, but I was looking at all the posts and was trying to think of a different way to say "hi."

My name is what shows there as my user name - I believe people online should be the same as they are offline.  I live in Kansas City, MO and right now I don't have any bees.

I'm a student in the 2021 Heroes to Hives course, and at the beginning of that course, we were encouraged to not kill keep bees our first year.  We're also blessed in Missouri to have a state extension of the program at Central Missouri State University, where I am able to get in the bee yard once a month for some hands-on.

I've been absorbing as much information as I can, meeting new people, getting confused, you know - the usual.  It's very nice to be here and I look forward to meeting some of you.
Heroes to Hives, class of 2021

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Salutations from Kansas City
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 09:54:49 am »
Lee,
Welcome to Beemaster.
This is the place to learn about bees and ask questions.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 10:37:13 am »
Welcome.  There are no dumb questions, some of us may smile at a question because it brings back memories, again welcome.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 02:26:18 pm »
"Salutations?"  Seems snooty, but I was looking at all the posts and was trying to think of a different way to say "hi."
Perhaps the universal greeting is what you are looking for.  Bah weep granah weep nini bong!  :cool:  Sorry, I'm a reservoir of obscure pop culture jokes.  :cheesy:

I'm a student in the 2021 Heroes to Hives course, and at the beginning of that course, we were encouraged to not kill keep bees our first year.  We're also blessed in Missouri to have a state extension of the program at Central Missouri State University, where I am able to get in the bee yard once a month for some hands-on.

I've been absorbing as much information as I can, meeting new people, getting confused, you know - the usual.  It's very nice to be here and I look forward to meeting some of you.
What a cool program!  I see it's only open to veterans, so thank you for your service to our country.  We all love asking and answering questions, so feel free to ask away.  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lee Bussy

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 05:33:57 pm »
Perhaps the universal greeting is what you are looking for.  Bah weep granah weep nini bong!
So there really is a bumble-bee transformer?

What a cool program!  I see it's only open to veterans, so thank you for your service to our country.  We all love asking and answering questions, so feel free to ask away.  :happy:
The program is an awesome thing Uncle Sugar is subsidizing.  It does bring together a number of important verticals: veteran transformation, pollinators, agri-business, etc.  I am not necessarily in favor of throwing money at veteran programs for the feel-good aspect of it, but this really does seem to connect two (or three if you count agriculture) communities which could be synergistic.

Now the amusing part of course is trying to "learn bees" in an academic environment.  In my mind, "academic" means there are some scientific/empirical answers to it all.  While there certainly is a lot of scientific information out there, you folks also know one of the first things you tell people is that if you ask five beekeepers a question, you get 10 answers.  Just from my morning, I read one thing from the University of Guelph, one from Michigan State, and one from Randy Oliver.  All "right" and all different.

But hey, it's ALL interesting, and these channels on YouTube give me something to watch when I'm on the treadmill.

Thanks for the warm welcome so far!
Heroes to Hives, class of 2021