Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 6F polystyrene hives - Lyson  (Read 1866 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
6F polystyrene hives - Lyson
« on: September 24, 2020, 01:34:38 am »
Going to give these boxes a try at wintering smaller colony in 20 below and blowing snow.
http://lyson.eu/ule-styropianowe/1543-6-frame-nucleus-hive-american-langstroth-2059766038268.html

I have a few queen mating nucleus colonies leftover that are doing fine. Those small colonies are really trying their best and are showing potential. They are not big enough to move up into my standard 10s, but yet are soon to be too big for what they are in and certainly will not survive winter in those summer boxes. Normally at this time I just pinch off the queens and shake those out in September. Fall 2020 we seem to be blessed with an unusually nice pleasant weather and it looks like it may continue for a couple more weeks before snow flies. I am also caught up on the other work and have a bit of time to experiment.

At this point, I've got nothing to lose but money for the fancy boxes. These are 6 frame Lyson polystyrene hive bodies. Included is a hive top feeder tray that fits nicely under the hood. At first the kit comes off as being quite pricey when comparing to traditional woodwork.  However, I will share my opinion that these are really well done in fit and finish and the hardware included. It is made of very dense material. Good enough to hold bees in but I doubt they will stop a shrew or a mouse looking for winter warmth. The entrance slider is a nice feature. Two are included in the kit. One has bars big enough for bees but nothing bigger such as wasps/hornets. The second slider has narrower bars which again are big enough for bees but will also act as queen excluder to keep rogue queens out and keep the hive queen in.

Mentioning them here, because I think it is a really nice kit, but mostly just because I wanted to show off the sleek paint job.

:cool:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:54:23 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: 6F polystyrene hives - Lyson
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:52:56 am »
Interesting HP. I look forward to hearing how they do.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: 6F polystyrene hives - Lyson
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 12:15:35 pm »
Anyone out on BM have experience with these to share.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.