Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two Questions about Poly Hives  (Read 2984 times)

Offline cjlong

• New Bee
Two Questions about Poly Hives
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:29:03 pm »

1. Some say that it is good to use wood because the bees will propolize the walls along with all the cracks.  The propolis is supposed  to provide a more healthy environment for the bees.  I've read that the bees won't propolize polystyrene.  Is it worth the trouble to try to line the interior of a poly hive with some thin strips of hardboard, so that they can propolize it?

2. For those who run poly hives (or wood) with no top ventilation, do you ever give a top entrance in warmer weather, either for improved bee access, or greater ventilation?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Two Questions about Poly Hives
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 01:13:53 pm »
In my experience they will propolize styrofoam, after they try to chew it up... but the high density styrofoam seems to stop the chewing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:28:48 pm »
If they do not propolize it, why would you want to add wood that they would? Not having everything stuck together is a good thing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:53:56 pm »
2. For those who run poly hives (or wood) with no top ventilation, do you ever give a top entrance in warmer weather, either for improved bee access, or greater ventilation?

My hives(wood) all have bottom entrances only.  They are reduced down to 3/8" by 3".  They typically are left that way all year long.  I have on occasion removed the oil pan beneath the SBB.  That only lasts about a week at most during the hottest part of the summer and only if the are bearding heavily.

Offline cjlong

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 06:41:26 am »
If they do not propolize it, why would you want to add wood that they would? Not having everything stuck together is a good thing.
Jim

I've read that somewhere that propolis confers benefits to the hive.  After thinking it over, it does seem like a lot of wasted effort.  Bees will move into the strangest locations, and do just fine.  I think I will let the bees work it out.

Thanks for the input.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 11:06:55 am »
They may not propolize the walls of a poly hive, but I think they will likely propolize the gaps in wooden frames in order to isolate SHB, or anything else that displeases them.  Perhaps you'll get that benefit you're looking for after all.   
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 11:58:51 am »

1. Some say that it is good to use wood because the bees will propolize the walls along with all the cracks.  The propolis is supposed  to provide a more healthy environment for the bees.  I've read that the bees won't propolize polystyrene.  Is it worth the trouble to try to line the interior of a poly hive with some thin strips of hardboard, so that they can propolize it?

They will propolize poly, my experience has been just not as much as wood hives.

Depends on where you keep them.  Remember feral bees in a tree are usually in the shade under the tree canopy.  My hives that are in the shade do fine without summer ventilation.   If you put them in the hot sun, then that is a different story
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline cjlong

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:11:43 pm »

Depends on where you keep them.  Remember feral bees in a tree are usually in the shade under the tree canopy.  My hives that are in the shade do fine without summer ventilation.   If you put them in the hot sun, then that is a different story

These hives are in 80% shade in the summer.  They get direct sun a couple hours mid-morning, and dappled/total shade the rest of the day.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:50 pm »
Depends on where you keep them.  Remember feral bees in a tree are usually in the shade under the tree canopy.

Also 30-40 feet off the ground even in a house.  At ground level there are a lot more insects and predators.  Sun helps to keep the hive active.  I would not intentionally shade my hives.  You do what you got to do but if you can sun is the way to go.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it