Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees dying in bee vac  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Big Bear

• New Bee
bees dying in bee vac
« on: September 30, 2013, 01:01:14 pm »
I done a cutout yesterday and I'm having problems with the bees getting wet within a minute or two of sucking them into my bee vac and dying. I have the one like Cindy Bee used with the plastic bucket and the box top that comes off. If there is an better way or something I can change I am open to suggestions. I had no problems earlier in the year.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: bees dying in bee vac
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:39:40 pm »
Sounds like they are overheating, a common issue with bucket type bee vacs.   Best you can do is not shut the vac off (keep air moving through it)  and remove the screen cage as soon as you're done.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:25:32 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Moots

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:57:06 pm »
Big Bear,
I'm not really sure I'm familiar with the vac you are describing, "one like Cindy Bee used with the plastic bucket and the box top that comes off"...

That being said, I've used a bucket style vac with basically NO "bee Kill" issues.  My configuration actually puts the bucket on it's side, arguably giving the bees more room to spread out and help reduce heating issues.  However, I know a number of people that use the traditional style "upright" bucket vacs without issue.

I think the two points Robo mentions are quite important, as well as making sure that your suction is not at too high of a level.

These four basic rules have served me and my bucket vac quite well....
First, I keep the suction very low. 
Second, I never leave the catch container in the vac without running the vac to keep the air flow moving. 
Third, I put my catch container on the front seat with the A/C cranked for the ride home to keep them as cool as possible.
And forth....I get them hived ASAP!

I've done cutouts and swarm removals on 90°+ Louisiana days without ANY noticeable bee loss.

Good Luck!  :)

Offline Big Bear

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:00:45 pm »
the bees are overheating as the vac is running this is what has me really stumped

Moots

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:12:02 pm »
the bees are overheating as the vac is running this is what has me really stumped

How many bees in the vac and what's the temperature at the time?  I agree, that sounds really strange...Can you post some pictures of your vac?

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »
To much smoking bees sucking up lots of honey?

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 09:16:27 pm »
There must be something wrong... I too have done several cutouts with little to no bee kill issues.  The key is to get the bees out of the holding bin as quickly as you can since they will build up tremendous amounts of heat very quickly.  The vac motor is generating head that could be being forced down into your holding bucket as well.  All of it sounds very odd if the vac is functioning correctly.
David  

Offline Big Bear

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:39:18 pm »
in your opinions what would be the most desirable bee vac to use or in my case to build. the one that uses a deep hive body seems appealing to me but experience is the best teacher and if i can get some pointers that would be most appreciated.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 01:20:05 am »

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 03:41:32 am »
I have made a very simple virtually disposable beevac using a styrofoam box (the variety in which often broccoli is shipped).  Make two holes at each on the smaller ends where on one end you fit the hose from any vacuum cleaner and on the other end you fit the collection hose. Make a screen using a wooden frame which fits tightly inside the box with no gaps. Put the screen inside, some 2" in from of the hole to which the vac is attached, close the top and you have a great bee vac. If the polystyrene box gets battered get another one from your friendly veggie store.

I should draw this up and post some photos - it is extremely simple to make and I have found it very useful and working well.

anything