Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goldenrod  (Read 5215 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
Goldenrod
« on: June 13, 2005, 05:09:20 pm »
I have my hives located on my property on a 3/4 acre area that I let grow wild.  Most of the flora on this plot is Goldenrod.  Should I keep it that way - or would any of you suggest differently.  I had thought about making it a wildflower meadow, or maybe plant it with Clover.  Or would this Goldenrod make a good honey?  I know it is a late bloomer.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Goldenrod
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:29:46 pm »
Bees will fly quite a distance foraging food - usually around 3 miles, but will go farther if needed. The goldenrod is a fall bloom, and will be great for easy foraging for a fall flow. I don't think I would change it. But you could add stuff around your property to give a nice spring or summer flow. That's what I would do anyway.

I've had goldenrod honey. It's stronger, but I personally like it. My husband hates it. It will crystalize fairly easy too if you wanted to try to make creamed honey one day. Not that making creamed honey is easy, but the goldenrod honey is just one of the easier honeys to make crystals. My experience - others may have had different experiences.

Beth

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
Goldenrod
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 10:17:04 am »
Thanks for the reply Beth.  I will plan on keeping the Goldenrod there - It actually looks really pretty in the late summer/early fall when in full bloom - and even before I started bees this spring - I would see a lot of honeybees foraging on it.  I don't think I could plant anything in with it though - because it is such a fast grower and very tall - that I don't think anything else would have a chance.  Wild Strawberry's, and  Queen Ann's Lace currently grows with it right now - not sure if the Bees like that or not, also the Blackberry/Raspberry's grow like crazy on the edge of this plot - I see a lot of bees on those blossoms.  I have about another Acre and a half that I just mow - any suggestions on some good bee plants I could plant in sections at a time to slowly fill up.  We planted a Butterfly garden last year about a 20' X 12' section - and the honey bees loved it along with the hummingbirds.  Some of these plants are Bee Balm, Joe Pye weed, Asters, Phlox, Russian Sage, Gay Feather, and Purple Coneflower.  Now I would like to keep adding another garden every year for the Bees - any more suggestions.

Thanks!

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Goldenrod
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 11:43:09 am »
I did a search once looking for plants bees love. There's alot of information out there. Pretty much though, what ever butterflies like, bees also like. And... these same plants attract ladybugs, which are very good to have around to control problem bugs in your garden. The list is long of what plant choices you have. Just do a little search, and you'll find plenty of plants that will work for your area. Many sites even tell you what time of year they bloom so you can have all seasons covered.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Goldenrod
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 06:47:35 pm »
You could try a little patch of wild flowers in with it next spring. Toss them on the ground as soon as the snow melts and see what happens. If it works do some more the next spring. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Goldenrod
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 11:30:53 pm »
I had golden rod honey and i have to say that it was very very good! I had to keep my family memebers from eating it all!!!
Bee Boy

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
Goldenrod
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 12:18:35 am »
I have golden rob too!
 I over seeded with white and yellow sweet clover and
alfalfa because they bloom at differant times

anything