Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Out of Reach
« Last post by Bill Murray on April 14, 2024, 07:54:35 pm »
Member once you get them hived put a frame of open brood in. 99.5% chance they wont leave it.
Took down three swarm traps and moved bees to bee yard, have one more to do in the morning. Put on some supers and checked on others.

Just my thoughts on the previous posts I have started using all frames with foundation in my swarm traps. My first two years I used open frames but with temps in the 90's on these fine Louisiana back roads I had to much of it collapse on me. Since I have started use frames with foundation I have not seen any difference in outcome, using four traps I usually catch 10 to 15 each year.
THE 2ND AMENDMENT / ATF EXPERT
« Last post by Salvo on April 14, 2024, 05:14:39 pm »
Hi Folks,

ATF expert:

ATF ?Firearms Expert? Gets Roasted For Failing At Glock Disassembly ? These Are The People Who Regulate Your Guns

https://dailycaller.com/2024/03/05/atf-firearms-expert-roasted-failing-glock-disassembly-regulate-guns-steven-dettelbach-chris-bort-margaret-brennan-cbs/

This is a result of the Ringlemann effect.

GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Out of Reach
« Last post by The15thMember on April 14, 2024, 03:51:16 pm »
Well they didn't stick.  Most of them were back on the tree yesterday.  While Haley and I were debating what we wanted to try next, the same hive cast another swarm.  The new swarm seemed kind of confused by the fact that there was a swarm on the tree already, and they hovered around them for a few minutes before landing right next to them.  We decided at that point to just cut to the top of the tree off and see if we could get them that way.  We staked a tarp down on the ground this time, and obviously both swarms got mixed together pretty indiscriminately when they fell down.  We managed to get most of them into a bin, but when I went and dumped the bin into a hive I had set up, a LOT of bees flew right back to the tree and perched just below where we'd made the cut.  I had a robbing screen on the hive, so I just locked in the bees that hadn't flown, and then I went into their mother queen's hive and got a frame of open brood for them.  We were going to try again to get the rest of the bees down, but they didn't settle nicely and seemed kind of agitated and were moving around on the tree a lot, so we decided to break for lunch and reassess the situation later.  Well, after lunch the swarm seemed a lot smaller, and I noticed that the hive they had issued from was fanning like crazy at the entrance, the whole apiary smelled like Nasanov pheromone.  I inspected a couple of hives, and by the time I was done, there was only a grapefruit sized clump of bees left on the tree.  Then this morning, the hive swarmed again, so I guess they just called them back to try again the next day.  I opened up the entrance on the hive that had been locked up and the bees in there didn't run for the hills when I did so, and some started orienting, so maybe there is a queen in there, or at least the brood has made enough of them stick.  We'll see.  I left a bait hive nearby to see if the swarm is interested in it, but I don't have the time to mess around with them anymore today.  Maybe tomorrow if they are still there.     
TV SHOWS / Re: Fallout
« Last post by The15thMember on April 14, 2024, 03:33:17 pm »
One of the services did a show based on HALO and they did a good job with it too.  If I can watch a series based on my favorite games and feel like I slid into the game, that works for me!   :grin:
My sister and I watched the first season of the Halo show and we loved it!  We haven't gotten to the second season yet, but we will.  We are going to watch The Witcher show soon, and we learned from Halo that doing the video game first is really important to getting everything out of the show, because that first episode of Halo was like 60% more enjoyable having played it.  We're actually going to start playing Witcher 2 next weekend.  My sister has read the books already, and I'm working on the 2nd short story collection right now.   
« Last post by animal on April 14, 2024, 02:33:03 pm »
The Blitz is probably my favorite, but the Corvega Atomic wouldn't be too terribly hard to build. The Cherry Bomb (top left in the previous post) would be the easiest.
« Last post by animal on April 14, 2024, 02:23:01 pm »
The acting seemed good to me.. and the use of a few real cars that fit the aesthetic was neat... but being a car nut, I was hoping that they had actually built a few custom rods of the fallout cars. Some could be made by modifying real cars, but expensive, I know :sad:

If I?m setting a swarm trap without swarming going on I will put one old frame on one side and the rest are empty frames with a wood stick in the top slot. I wax the stick with freshly melted wax.
In my experience a good swarm will build nice straight comb in this set up. Most of my drawn foundation less frames are from swarms. If I?m looking for a large swarm, I use at least two medium boxes or more.
Jim Altmiller

In your case I agree with you Jim especially if the traps are on our own property, with no immediate moving of the trap required, or at least not far, thus no worries of collapsed comb. Your method works just fine when a trap is in our own location.... Plus you have the advantage of new comb in that hive for a new beginning for the bees.. Thought it can and does occasionally happen, most of the time cross comb will not be a problem.

Different circumstances may sometimes require different methods for best results. For example during a hard swarming season some may have catch boxes miles away from their apiary, at locations where  known cutouts have been done in the past, (swarming bees seem to love old cut out locations), in such a case, new white foundationless soft comb, without that provided foundation for support in the frames, may be a problem during transport because of the weight of the fresh nectar the bees might have loaded into this new comb. (and in peak swarm season during a heavy flow, it don't take long for that brand new come to become heavy).

I made this mistake, (once) of transporting a nuc with new foundationless soft white comb from one location to another. When I got home after driving down some rough Mississippi roads, some of the new fresh white comb had collapsed, and what a mess... lol..

Now had that box been on the property that I had intended to be their home, that foundation-less frame set up would have been just fine. I am not trying to change minds and habits, just hopefully showing different circumstances sometimes fare better with different methods... .
« Last post by Kathyp on April 14, 2024, 11:04:04 am »
Anyway, from what I've seen, it's a fun series so far.

I have made it to episode 5.  There are some good actors in this thing and so far I have enjoyed it.

One of the services did a show based on HALO and they did a good job with it too.  If I can watch a series based on my favorite games and feel like I slid into the game, that works for me!   :grin:
If I?m setting a swarm trap without swarming going on I will put one old frame on one side and the rest are empty frames with a wood stick in the top slot. I wax the stick with freshly melted wax.
In my experience a good swarm will build nice straight comb in this set up. Most of my drawn foundation less frames are from swarms. If I?m looking for a large swarm, I use at least two medium boxes or more.
Jim Altmiller
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
anything