Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rake  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Rake
« on: April 02, 2019, 02:42:54 pm »
This Australian product features a barrister in Sydney who is immmoral and brilliant, though he seems to act much like his peers. ?  womanizing, taking drugs and generally misbehaving in every way.  If Australia were even a fraction as corrupt as this series paints it, Chicago would look good by comparison.  The things that go on in judges? chambers are as shocking as what goes down in the worst parts of Sydney.  Still, a very entertaining series that lasted five seasons before running out of cocaine, sex and political intrigue.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
Re: Rake
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 07:26:07 pm »
This Australian product features a barrister in Sydney who is immmoral and brilliant, though he seems to act much like his peers. ?  womanizing, taking drugs and generally misbehaving in every way.  If Australia were even a fraction as corrupt as this series paints it, Chicago would look good by comparison.  The things that go on in judges? chambers are as shocking as what goes down in the worst parts of Sydney.  Still, a very entertaining series that lasted five seasons before running out of cocaine, sex and political intrigue.

When's it on when's it on :grin: :grin: :grin:
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:34:20 pm »
I think we watched it on Amazon Prime, but it could also be on Cyberflix.  Stream anytime.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:07:19 pm »
I saw it somewhere.  I am thinking Prime.  You recommend it?  There are some pretty good shows out of Australia. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 08:36:25 am »
You do know that film makers mimic the trump organization?  Very similar to comedians.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »
Yeah, sure.  Aussie tv writers started writing about Trump-like figure about 2009 for the first episode to air in 2010 and the last in 2016.  How prescient of them.  Sometimes things are just what they are, Ace, rather than how you imagine them to be.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 04:01:21 pm »
I saw it somewhere.  I am thinking Prime.  You recommend it?  There are some pretty good shows out of Australia.

I recommend it as a comedy and a bit caustic satire with some raw language and nudity.  It really puts down the legal system, among other things.

Offline Brub58

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 06:06:06 pm »
If you enjoy Rake, you should try Wanted.  It?s on Netflix.  It?s another Aussie comedy/drama,  but quite different to Rake, and Rebecca Gibney does a great job.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 06:25:58 pm »
If you enjoy Rake, you should try Wanted.  It?s on Netflix.  It?s another Aussie comedy/drama,

I dumped Netflix, but I picked up Acorn and Britbox on Prime so maybe it's on one of those.  Thanks for the rec.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 10:37:03 pm »
Looks like Netflix has a lock on Wanted for now.  Like you, Kathy, we dropped Netflix.  It got so it looked like it was aiming at a demoographic other than ours.  It has some good stuff, but the bulk of what they are pushing is aimed at a younger audience, I think.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 08:43:40 am »
but the bulk of what they are pushing is aimed at a younger audience,
Capitalism, that is where the money is.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 11:42:48 am »
True, Ace, but Netflix has lost 130,000 US subscrbers in the last fiscal quarter and its world expansion has slowed.  With Disney, Apple, Amazon, Hulu and many others getting into the streaming business and DVDs going the way of the 8-track, if they haven't already done so, the business model seems to be faltering for Netflix.   At least the phenominal growth it has experienced until now is slowing and there are a lot of Netflix-killers planning to cut into Netflix's profit and growth.  Not exactly going the way of buggy whip makers, but it might not want to keep doing the same thing.  The recent price increase brought the monthly cost up to about $20.  It started a few years ago at about $8 a month.  Disney and some of the others are about $7 a month.  That does not look like good capitalism at work to me.  At this rate, Netflix should be trying to hold onto its older subscribers and add younger ones, not alienate the older ones while catering to the young ones.  Of course Reed Hastings, the Netflix founder, was told before he started the company that his idea would never work.  The financial experts sure missed that one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 12:30:55 pm »
It has some good stuff, but the bulk of what they are pushing is aimed at a younger audience, I think.

I didn't mind the push at the age demographic as much.  They had some good shows aimed at the younger people that I enjoyed.  As they lost content to others and when with more of their own productions, they seemed to falter.  + the seemed to change the political demographic they were aiming for.  Susan Rice on the board and Obama family doing content was bound to tick a few folks off and with other offerings, those folks had places to go.  Some of their comedy stuff was downright vile.

Companies come and go.  Yes, that's how capitalism works.  The company does stuff.  The people decide. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 09:23:32 am »
True, Ace, but Netflix has lost 130,000 US subscrbers in the last fiscal quarter and its world expansion has slowed.

If they got 60million and they lost 130K going from $7 to $20 they made a bundle of money in a heartbeat.  That gives them a whole lot of cash to beat off the competition or bring home to mama.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 09:33:40 am »
The people decide.

People (the consumers) very seldom decide.  They follow the crowd and are very easily swayed to react not in their best interest.  This is very easy to explain by smoking or vaping.  Maybe not quit as obvious as buying cloths, cars, food, insurance, electronic devices or entertainment, but the scenario is exactly the same.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 11:38:33 am »
People (the consumers) very seldom decide.  They follow the crowd and are very easily swayed to react not in their best interest.  This is very easy to explain by smoking or vaping.  Maybe not quit as obvious as buying cloths, cars, food, insurance, electronic devices or entertainment, but the scenario is exactly the same.

Perhaps I should have said 'people CAN decide'.  It is about choice and if you make stupid or counterproductive choices, it is still better than having someone dictate to you what you should and should not do.

Vaping is a choice.  I smoked for many years.  I quit smoking and I now vape.  I understand that it is not without some risk, but the risk is less than that of smoking.  I made an informed decision. 

In a town close to us, the kids were celebrating that Chick-fil-A would not be at their ballgames anymore.  They claimed it was a company that discriminated against certain people.  They made many of their erroneous complaints from their iPhone.  The iPhone made in China, a repressive government that provides slave labor to foreign companies.  These kids are not making informed choices.  They are vomiting propaganda.  They are still making a choice.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 02:36:05 pm »
Now I can ask a question that occurred to me when watching Rake :  (warning - spoiler alert) Can blue bottles kill someone?  From what I read online, they are painful, but the script writers left the impression the character died, ending the episode and series.