Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Radial Extractor  (Read 2843 times)

Offline threehives

• New Bee
Radial Extractor
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:20:28 pm »
Hi All

Im looking to purchase a good quality radial extractor here in Aus, any suggestions. Im using foundation-less WSP frames so Im thinking a radial extractor will be better as the centrifugal force is in line with the comb so hopefully the comb will stay in tact. Im after a small electric one. Cheers Phill

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Radial Extractor
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:08:47 am »
I do foundationless in a radial.  But it would seem to me that a tangential would do fine and maybe better since there is a cage to hold the comb in...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline chorrylan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 06:03:11 pm »
Some questions to help frame answers:

How small?
 someone on one of these forums once posted "get the biggest extractor you can afford and fits through the door" so what's your door size? :-)

How many hives do you have/plan to have (or how many supers you expect to extract)?

What are you using and planning for uncapping?

What's your preferred price range or limit ?

Do you need to be able to use other frame sizes or only wsp?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »
But it would seem to me that a tangential would do fine and maybe better since there is a cage to hold the comb in...

Maybe, maybe not.  The comb is very weak when forces are applied in that direction and how do you uncap a shallow drawn out frame such that the supporting basket would support the comb?  As long as you don't do a jack rabbit start that would flop the frames around I think a radial is a safer way to go for weak comb.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it