Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings & Salutations  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Flamingo Beekeeper

• Brood
Greetings & Salutations
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:21:27 pm »
This will be my 1st season as a beekeeper.  I really wasn't planning on becoming one just yet either, but you know what they say about the best laid plans.  I'm from the Chicago area suburbs and had a mild interest in bees from an anti-Monsanto and others stance.  I became very concerned about what Roundup and 'neonics' were doing to the Environment overall but especially pollinators.  So one day late last year I took my elderly 83 year old mother to a Farm & Fleet to get some birdseed.  While we were there I saw their display of starter hives and accessories and made the passing comment I might like to try beekeeping one day when I retire.  That turned into a Christmas present!  Since then my present has cost me ~$400!   :grin: 

I went ahead and purchased an additional hive body and super with frames, feeders, waterers, a couple of Drone brood frames (part of my chosen method at mite control), some B Healthy supplement and patties to keep them fed along with sugar water since we don't really have anything blooming except a few hardwood trees just yet.  Spring is really late this year. I also picked up an extra hood for friends who suddenly seem to have an interest in my new hobby!  They say they want to see what this is all about but I suspect their motives are more sinister and that they would have a good laugh watching me get stung not real sure yet.  Anyway my package is supposed to ship from Kentucky this Saturday!  I'm excited to get started.  I'm guessing if they ship Saturday I should get them Monday or Tuesday.  As it happens the weather is actually going to cooperate, supposed to be in the 50's and maybe 60's this weekend and early next week.

Well that's about it, as a newb I don't really have any stories to offer, just looking forward to doing my part in preserving our Environment and looking forward to gleaning wisdom and knowledge from all of you.

Good luck to all !

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Greetings & Salutations
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:55:04 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster. Bee careful, Beekeeping is very addictive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Greetings & Salutations
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:01 pm »
Welcome.  :happy: