Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow the Bloom 2019  (Read 13155 times)

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
Re: Follow the Bloom 2019
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2019, 03:32:18 pm »
If the Goldenrod is going into bloom now, doesn't that suggest an early/hard winter? ... if I remember rightly thru 40 yrs ... my grandpa used to teach me these things, but if you don't use them, well ... they fade.

Unfortunately many of the old weather signs are no longer dependable.  I am a scientist working in the environmental cleanup field and thus keep very close tabs on the oft agued about Climate Change issue.  I can assure it is real, and about all one an predict is shorter, but more violent winters...how a Very late Summer temp running into a very early Goldenrod fits in is an utter throw of the dice in this rapidly changing world we now inhabit.

It is the 1st day of fall next Monday...and we have a high of 97 today...  we should be in the mid to low 80s by now.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2019, 09:48:10 pm »
Goldenrod, ragweed, and asters are in full bloom right now.  I have a small flow on, I'd guess from the asters since the bees are all over them. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2019, 10:43:52 pm »
@Bahbees - It's so hot and dry this year that our area has lost many old growth trees in the Nyssa sp. which grow in wet conditions.  Local lakes are low, with wide, dried mud-rings around them.

The Liriope (popular ornamental) has bloomed for a couple of weeks and is fading out.  Now, we have about one honey bee per square foot on a small meadow of Richardia (Mexican clover). And with the honey bees, all sorts of others too...tiny bees with green heads....itty bitty orange bees...mini moths...swallowtail butterflies...

I've got the irrigation system on regularly to keep that nectar flowing.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2019, 12:00:51 am »
Bees are working Smartweed very hard, this plant is new to me. I had seen it but not in the quantity it is growing this year.  What kind of honey does it make

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2019, 11:38:15 am »
Bees are working Smartweed very hard, this plant is new to me. I had seen it but not in the quantity it is growing this year.  What kind of honey does it make
Smartweed /knotweed is blooming here as well. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2019, 05:50:59 pm »
>What kind of honey does it make

Dark and strong.  It starts off a bit bitter but ends nicely.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2019, 01:11:50 pm »
AAAAnnnd my fall ends not with a frost...but instead an utter parching. 

At this point whatever isn't in my yard and watered is done.  There is no rain in the foreseeable future...

Made up 2/1 syrup last night, will be pulling supers this afternoon and adding feeders. 

Shifting to keep 'em alive mode now!

Doing rain dances daily,
Barry
From the developing new desert in North Alabama

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2019, 01:09:00 pm »

We sympathize.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2019, 12:05:56 am »
Wild mustard just finished.
Last bit of goldenrod is still yellow.  It phased into bloom for over 3 months.
Spanish needle is still going strong.
And now....the Loquats are blooming.  There are a dozen Loquat trees at a condo across the neighborhood.  The bees have been flying fast all day.
Yes, it's December...we had a nice warm fall...our cold weather will start about now, then warm up in 6-8 weeks.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2019, 06:51:02 pm »
Loquat trees have been blooming here for a few weeks.

Citrus is starting to bloom now.

I'm still not sure about the eucalyptus tree bloom - thru my binoculars I think I can see flowers high up on several eucalyptus stands - its just not a tree that I know enough about yet.

Nectar is beginning to flow slowly. Hive weight has begun to increase finally - determined by lifting the back of the hives, and by some inspections. It should get good in 4-6 weeks.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

anything