Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observations on robbing screens - after 1 yr  (Read 3471 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Observations on robbing screens - after 1 yr
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 08:12:00 pm »
Van, I'm not sure. They seem to be pulling larvae in small qty's each day - of all ages. It's the only hive doing it. I've never seen this in person before. Our temps here have been 55-70 days, and 37-50 nights. The hive has about 6 medium frames of bees right now, which is to say, the lower box is completely full of bees, and the upper box (1 of my last remaining deeps) has part of a frame. Last check 2 weeks ago showed 3 frames of brood, and the new queen. The deep frames above are 70% full of capped honey. If things go right, this hive should "explode" in size in the next 3 weeks. So ... I'd love some advice on this one.

Alan, you ask for advice regarding the larva on the entrance;  I counted maybe 12 larva which is a very small percentage for 3 frames of brood.  Maybe normal as most larva are dragged off never seen by the beekeeper whereas your robbing screen just happens to catch the larva for viewing.  With some of your nights in the thirties F, maybe chill of perimeter larva of the brood nest that chilled.  Larva needs to be 90-92F and at what temp the larva chill and die is not known by me.

As long as I see PEARL WHITE LARVA in the brood nest, 99% of my worries vanish.  The pearl white larva is something I always look for in the hive.  Kinda of an: all is clear sort sort of issue with pearl white.  I am not forgetting mites, beetles, stores; just sticking to the subject of larva.

Health to your bees.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 08:19:53 pm »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:43:38 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 09:20:08 pm »
Thanks you Van for the feedback. Hopefully all is well.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

anything