Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBH nuc -> full hive transfer  (Read 2019 times)

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
TBH nuc -> full hive transfer
« on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:48 am »
Background:

Was originally going to do TBH throughout (2 years ago) and built one hive and was given another, along with its' matching nuc. The nuc was put in a tree on the property the first spring and caught nothing. Second year, caught nothing. Third year, this one I changed my mind and built some cedar langstroth boxes to go that route. Now Murphy set in and the TBH nuc still up in the tree of course caught a swarm this year. I have the langstroth already setup where I wanted this hive to go and moved the nuc on top of it to get their location set.

Currently:

They've been there 11 days now and I went into the nuc yesterday to check how things are coming along.  I saw this

They seem to be doing fine.  I didn't disturb them by lifting any frames but it almost looks like they followed the bars as I meant them to and am changing my mind about doing the cutout into my 8 frame mediums.

It's going to take a little bit of work to level the TBH into the same spot on which the langstroth is already sitting. I feel a good option would be to close up the nuc at night, come out at daybreak and get the TBH setup and the langstroth moved out before too many of them are awake.

My question is:

Once I do this, would I immediately transfer the bars into the full TBH or should I set the nuc on top of the full hive and reopen the entries so they go about their bee business and transfer a day or so later?

Thanks
Bobby

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: TBH nuc -> full hive transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 11:04:47 pm »
I would go ahead with it right then, brush the loose bees out of the nuc and remove it. They'll figure it out.

anything