Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pics of installed Beetle trap by BeetleJail.  (Read 1449 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Pics of installed Beetle trap by BeetleJail.
« on: November 29, 2019, 01:05:09 pm »
A while back BenFramed introduced this beetle trap made by a company called BeetleJail.  I was impressed and purchased two traps.

I am attaching pics of the easily installed trap.  The beetles enter at the red arrow a narrow vent which leads to the pull out tray half filled with oil, drowning the beetles.  The vent is to small for the bee to enter and the beetles run into the vent to escape the guard bees.  All seams are sealed and a disc air vent is in back of the nuc for ventilation.  In lower pic, I pulled out the oil tray shown in the pic for viewing.

Van
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:13:22 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Pics of installed Beetle trap by BeetleJail.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 01:06:05 pm »

Thank you Phil for the heads up.
Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 03:05:30 pm »
I have one of them that that my father in law bought about 8 years ago. Never killed very many beetles.
I still have it here somewhere. If you come to BeeFest next year and want it let me know.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 03:10:28 pm »
 I wish I could take credit but I am thinking Mr Bush showed us this  one as We all were discussing these methods in the topic titled (The Good Ole Days Of Beekeeping May Be On the Way Back !!!!!!!!)
However, I did post of the PVC Portal entry that I learned from Lankford at Woolley Bees I also posted about another method, the Guardian beetle blocker here another time. I have not tried any of the three. I also plan to try the PVC method myself and look forward from hearing your results of the other. I just hope any one or all work. I am so tired or battling these pesky critters! At least we have the freeze spray thanks to you!
Wishing you great success with this Mr Van and looking forward to your updates!! Thank you very much for posting this. We are all in this together and hopefully we can find a sure fire better way to handle these pesky rascals.. 😁
Phillip
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:26:23 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 03:24:54 pm »
Jim, thanks, this year, 2019, I figured somewhere around 65% percent of my time was devoted to beetle eradication.

Phil, you are a humble fella.  I don?t know who originally posted, but your post is the one that directed my attention to the beetle jail.  So thanks to whoever.
Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 06:46:04 pm »
Jim, thanks, this year, 2019, I figured somewhere around 65% percent of my time was devoted to beetle eradication.

Phil, you are a humble fella.  I don?t know who originally posted, but your post is the one that directed my attention to the beetle jail.  So thanks to whoever.
Van

Thank to you Mr Van, a true gentleman.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 09:11:00 pm »
@Van & Phil - aw... :cheesy:....your Bromance ...

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 12:26:33 am »
 :cheesy:
@Van & Phil - aw... :cheesy:....your Bromance ...
Thanks FG for the compliment. Glad you noticed the manner that we speak to one another, it is in a gentlemanly complementary manner. Though it is almost Gone With The Wind, you may still find it is taught here in the South today by many families.  Always attempting to give respect to anyone who may deserve it. Mr Van has more than earned mine.  I wish I could say that I have done the same in return toward him (earned it), but I feel at times I have fallen short of the mark.  I could say more but I will reframe.  :cheesy:
Blessings,
Phillip
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:02:55 am by Ben Framed »