Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: registry software  (Read 5462 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
registry software
« on: March 18, 2007, 10:16:38 pm »
Hi. can anyone suggest recommend and point me to software(free) that fix and repair windows registry. something like fixit utilities, registry mechanic etc.  the ones i keep finding are trial versions and can opnly fix a few problems. Scans tell me i have over 300 errors. thanks in advance

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: registry software
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 10:32:54 pm »
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 10:36:29 pm »
I'd stay away from some of those free scans because they all find something wrong and offer to sell something to fix it.I'd keep a good firewall and antivirus such as norton or macafee and if you have a problem get something like Norton disk doctor.
Some of these free scan sites are actually capable of putting unwanted crap on your computer so they can sell something to fix the problem they created.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 10:39:31 pm »
Well you can purchase some here:
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0-2-0.html?qt=registry+software&ca=20&excl=10566526&excl=10503633

Then after you fix it, you can get a real operating system and dump windoze.
http://www.freebsd.org

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:42:54 pm »
But Bill wants to rule the World!! :-P

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 09:50:37 am »
Have downloaded eusing registry cleaner and used it. The system is still running. Thanks. Brendhan, are you using freeBsd, how much different is it from windows?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:09:16 am »
Have downloaded eusing registry cleaner and used it. The system is still running. Thanks. Brendhan, are you using freeBsd, how much different is it from windows?
It has a bit of a learning curve if all you have ever used is windoze. It is geared toward a user who doesn't mind getting into the gears of the system and customizing it. But if you have never done anything like that before it is very daunting the first time out. However once you are use to it. You would never touch windoze again. It requires a bit of time for you to sit down and tackle the system the first time out but the FreeBSD OS comes with something wonderful. The FreeBSD handbook.
If you would like to try FreeBSD without having to install it on the hard drive I recommend the Live CD version of FreeBSD. Known as Freesbie

You burn the iso image to a cd, place the cd in the burner and just make sure your bios is set to boot to cd before your harddrive. It will not do anything to the contents of your hard drive.

If FreeBSD seems a bit daunting you could try one of the Linux live CDs such as Knoppix. There are lots of versions of Linux known as Distros. Everybody and their bother has a linux distro that suits their needs.Some are very complicated some are very easy. FreeBSD is works within a very strict set of guidlines but has all the wonderful features you would ever want. There is just only one FreeBSD.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 02:22:59 pm »
Hole up hole up.(Hold on) Bios? what, how and where?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:33:01 pm »
BIOS == Basic Input Output System.

When you turn a computer on you will get a splash screen that that says something like Press F2 to enter setup. F2 could be replaced with ESC or some other button. Depending on who makes the Bios. The Bios is a small assembly language written program that comes on every motherboard. It's purpose is to help launch the operating system. Without a Bios the operating system will not come up. When you enter setup you are entering the Bios configuration file. It lets you set the date and time. It lets you set some of the basic parameters of your motherboard. It lets yu set up the order in which things boot up. Most standard PCs have a floppy drive, CD ROM drive, and a hard drive. YOu can tell your computer to place any of those three devices in a specfic order. The order you place them in effects the order in which the computer bios looks at things when it wants to boot.

If the order is floppy, CD-ROM , and Hard drive. The system will look to see if there is a bootable floppy in the floopy drive if there is it will run the floppy boot program. If there is a non bootable floppy in the drive you will get a display on the screen that says disk read error. If there is nothing in the floppy it will move to the CD-ROM.

Once it hits the CD-ROM it will look for an autorun file. If it finds one it will run that file. If there isn't one it will move to the hard drive. You do not generally get an error read from a CD unless the autorun is corrupt. If there is nothing in the CD-ROM it will move to the hard drive.

The hard drive is where the operating system is permantly stored in most cases. One the motherboard bios reads the hard drive it looks for boot files. If it finds them it activates them causing your system to load windows or whatever operating system you have. If there is no operating system on the hard drive the screen will display No operating system found. This means the hard drive does not have a functioning boot file on the boot sectors of the hard drive or that it can't read the boot sectors of the hard drive. Sometimes a loose hard drive cable will cause this error.

You can set the order to whatever you want. The standard is floppy, CD-Rom, hard drive but that increases boot time and can cause delays if you left a floppy in the floppy drive. It will also cause delays if you left a CD-ROM in the CD drive. You can make it boot directly to your hard drive which will help cut down on boot time (a few seconds) but you will skip any live CDs you have in the CD-ROM.

Okay that is BIOS 101 class. I hope you learned something today.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 06:00:38 pm »
yes i did. Its now question time

1) if the standard boot configuration is floppy, cd then harddrive, when i copy freeBsd to cd, shutdown then restart with the cd in wouldn't it boot from the cd? if not

2) is there 1 standard way to change it to boot from cd or is it machine dependent?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 06:36:22 pm »
I'd keep a good firewall and antivirus such as norton or macafee and if you have a problem get something like Norton disk doctor.

I know that wasn't meant to be humorous, but that's the best one I've heard all day.   Norton/Symantec is a virus itself.  Ever try to uninstall it from a machine.  Good Luck,  ask Beemaster about his experience  :shock:

There are free ones out there that I would trust a heck of a lot more.   AVG for antivirus and Comodo for a firewall.  Of course my favorite firewall, Sygate, was bought out by Symantec and then discontinued.  Must have been to much competition.

I know, if everyone liked vanilla, they wouldn't make chocolate :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 07:01:27 pm »
You know more of this than I do Rob.However I uninstalled Norton without too much trouble and now use the macafee.What was I thinking?? :shock:Macafee found some things avg didn't but it also worked the other way around.Oh what to do? I'll just use the Macafee for now,It's free for comcast users and seems to work ok.
Thanks Robo
When ya stopping in voice chat?

Brendhan,I am downloading and burning to disk the free bsd. You have sparked a fire in experimentation!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 07:56:10 pm »
yes i did. Its now question time

1) if the standard boot configuration is floppy, cd then harddrive, when i copy freeBsd to cd, shutdown then restart with the cd in wouldn't it boot from the cd? if not
Yes it will boot from a bootable cd

2) is there 1 standard way to change it to boot from cd or is it machine dependent?
There are about 5 different BIOS companies out there. You never know which of them is on a machine until you turn it on. No there isn't a standard. Basically look for boot or start options.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 09:02:56 pm »
You know more of this than I do Rob.
Don't bet on that :-P
Macafee found some things avg didn't but it also worked the other way around.
That reminds me of the Oreck vacuum cleaner challenge where they want you to use your vacuum first and then use the Oreck with a new bag to see all that your old vacuum missed.   I'd like them to then take the old vacuum with a new bag and see all that the Oreck missed too.   I'm sure you could keep going back and forth between the vacuums for days and still be getting stuff.   Oh the magic of advertizing :-D

When ya stopping in voice chat?

Soon as my WildBlue dish is installed......

NOT....  Still haven't heard back from them other than they have some company that handles all their installers/dealers and my info was turned over to them.  Just as well, I did a little more research and I'm no longer interested.   They want you to pay them for the education,  you to provide the 90 day warantee out of your pocket,  and you to collect the payment.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 09:29:23 pm »
Too bad you can't get hooked up as a beta tester from one of these guys.Free to use while giving them data!

anything