Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is my hive doing the robbing?  (Read 945 times)

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
Is my hive doing the robbing?
« on: April 11, 2023, 01:10:26 pm »
Hello everyone.  I have 2 hives that are side by side. One of them didn't survive winter. There was still some sugar, nectar and bee bread left. A little honey. Now the empty hive is being robbed. Would it be my hive right next door to it that's raiding it or is it more likely to be a far off hive? And if it is a far off hive, should I stay out of my surviving hive until it quitens down? Thanks in advance for your time. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Is my hive doing the robbing?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 01:13:09 pm »
Could be either or both.   Most likely the hive next to it though.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 01:27:38 pm »
As Rob mentioned, any colony within 3 miles or so could have found it, but the hive next door would probably be first to do so.  This is why it's recommended to clean out dead hives as soon as you notice them, because they will quickly be robbed when the weather is warm enough, and bees going into other hives to rob is a primary way diseases and pests are spread.  Just keep the entrance on your surviving hive small for now, in case there are robbers from other hives alerted to your apiary.  Whether it's your hive or not, removing the deadout will stop the robbing and quiet everything down so you can inspect. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 02:03:36 pm »
Just keep the entrance on your surviving hive small for now, in case there are robbers from other hives alerted to your apiary. 

Don't overlook this excellent advise.   It is so much easier to prevent robbing than to stop it.  Robbing can also happen quickly and devastate a hive.  Traditional Langsrtoth hive have way too big of an entrance.   Congestion at the entrance really does not hinder the bees that much, especially when weighed against the possibility and damage from robbing.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 02:49:35 pm »
Move the empty hive away from the live hive, NOW!!
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 03:28:28 pm »
OK. Thanks yall.  I'll move it and clean it out. Thanks a bunch.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 10:51:07 pm »
Charles I have found robbers from a next door hive in the past.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 06:45:56 am »
If you sprinkle flour onto the robbers you will quickly see where they return to.  Use colored chalk (for a chalk box) if you like and it will be more obvious.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 08:21:56 am »
Great idea!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.