Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc with 2 Queens, 5th Week  (Read 987 times)

Offline Kathleen

• Brood
Nuc with 2 Queens, 5th Week
« on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:53 am »
Hello,  I started a nuc in early July when my hive made a new queen and i moved the old queen to the nuc.   She was never that strong and the nuc made a new queen.  However the nuc now has 2 queens for the 5th week and no brood or larvae from either one.    What are your suggestions?    I am in southern MA.   Thank you

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Nuc with 2 Queens, 5th Week
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 01:26:24 pm »
Suggestion at this point in time:   Kill them both and recombine the bees and resources back to the main hive
- the old queen, you have indicated is done and not worth keeping around
- the newer queen is not performing, no eggs/brood, after 5+weeks.  She is therefore a dud or drone layer, whereby the bees are moving whatever eggs she lays.
Kill them both and move on.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 03:36:39 pm »
Agreed.  As frustrating as it is, neither queen is performing so dispatch both and merge the hive. 

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 11:01:46 am »
  Its not unusual this time of year in the NE to find a hive with a mother and daughter queen, the daughter may start laying soon.  I would just leave the nuc alone and not disrupt your hive by adding the nuc.  This late in the year you don't want to take the chance that you could be adding mites, diseases, or sick bees to your healthy hive.  I know its recommended to cut your losses in the fall by combining failing hives, but I never do.  My hives are all dialed in by mid to late September, young queens, stores, low mite counts. I don't want to add any issues or stressors with all of todays pests and diseases. 
  The worst that can happen is the nuc will fail and you'll have drawn frames to start a new nuc in the spring.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.