Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: modem question  (Read 4139 times)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
modem question
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:18:24 am »
I have a question on an old modem.  I was given an older external "SUPRAEXPRESS 56 sp modem sup 2050" because I was looking for a modem which was not a "Winmodem" to use with SLACKWARE LINUX.

Most modems plug into a 9 pin serial port, but this one has a 25 pin female connection.  Is it for a parallel port?  I have been having trouble connecting with my ISP dialup, and they are quite unhelpful, aparrently thinking that I am trying to "hack" their system.  Sometimes adapted to a serial port I can recieve but not send

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ayyon 2157
William H. Michaels

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
modem question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 01:54:13 am »
Use a chat client (xchat, chatzilla, irrsi, etc)
join irc.oftc.net
join #linuxhelp

Post your question and be patient
Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
modem question
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:11:49 am »
The early serial ports were 25 pin, but of the opposite gender to the parallel connector. There are 25 to 9 pin adapters, take a look at the ATSCA and PCSCA adapters on this page -

http://www.altex.com/index.php?cPath=3_13_111
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
modem question
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:23:01 pm »
Serial ports are 25 pin.  Actually, only 9 are used, so its not a problem getting an adaptor.  Many times, the cables are not the right ones. I have seen,  over the years, cables that apear to be correct, plug right in, and will not work.  The reason is, most of the times there is a crossover.  IE, what is a send on one side, must be a recieve on the other.  

Modem drivers also must be correct.  Sometimes drivers are not universal.
I am not a linix expert, but I would look into drivers and the cable.  If it is not the original cable that is where I would start.

Also, your ISP probably is not familiar with that type of modem, hence thats why they are not helpful.
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol

anything