Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Considering top entrances  (Read 3705 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Considering top entrances
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 12:46:26 pm »
I have built a DSBB with the 2, 45 degree entrance facing down and I cut the inside 45 level with the top of DSBB. I like it.  So no one misunderstands, there is only one PVC entrance.I think this will also help in robbing on weak hives I am going to open one of the normal entrance gates and plug it with #8 scrape wire. I "Believe" this will help the robbing problem as robbers will go to the smell, I hope   When the hive builds up I can plug the 45 and open the entrance gate, or just set the hive on another DSBB.  I make a feeder with a 1/2" pvc entrance is in the back side of hive, the boardman feeder is on the back outside of the hive  Late in September I removed the feeder and was going to plug the hole for winter and the feeder was full of drones.  The plugged 45 entrance may also serve as a drone repository if left on into the fall.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:21:09 pm by paus »

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Re: Considering top entrances
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2019, 02:31:01 pm »
Problems with a flat bottom board with no added space:  There is only an 1/8" space at the bottom and this will get propolized.  When you pry out a frame the bottom bar comes off and is stuck to the bottom.  The other problem is bees can get squished when you put the frame back in (or set the box down) and one of those may be the queen.  I would recommend at LEAST 1/8" space added at the bottom.  3/8" would be better.  On top you can cheat a little since the bees don't want to interfere too much with traffic so if you have a little over bee space (max 3/8" min 1/4") at the front it may not get comb built there because of traffic, but most of the top space should fall in the 1/4" to 3/8" range if you don't want it all connected to the top bars.  1/4" is the space if you use a flat cover.  I would not exceed 1/2" at the very front and it should be 3/8" or less by the middle.
Yes I use ML stuff which put a single bee space (1/8") on top and bottom. That is not enough. Plus since I don't use foundation it would basically guarantee the bees would not attach the comb to the frame bottom.

If I have to do the extra work to add a spacer to the bottom board, I might as well keep doing what I've been doing with bottom entrances and plywood tops. :)

Thanks y'all for talking me thru it!

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk