Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Michael Palmer 4 Frame NUC plan  (Read 28113 times)

Offline Haynes HoneyBee Co

• Brood
Michael Palmer 4 Frame NUC plan
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:30:25 pm »
I have looked everywhere for the Michael Palmer 4 frame nuc plan to stack on a 10 frame deep but I can't find the cut list or anything. Please help and thanks.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Michael Palmer 4 Frame NUC plan
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:49:54 am »
He uses deep boxes that 9 5/8 tall.
The two four frame nuc boxes are made so they will fit under a standard top cover.
Each nuc box has an outside dimension of 8 1/8 wide by 19 7/8 length.
Two nuc boxes side by side, equals 16 1/4.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:07:40 am »
It's not rocket surgery.  If you are using 3/4" boards then start with one by twelves.  Rip them to 9 5/8".  Cut the sides 19 7/8" long.  Cut a rabbet in the parts you will use for the ends that is 5/8" deep and 3/8" wide.  Cut the ends to 6 5/8" wide.  Drill pilot holes and screw together with deck screws to make a butt joint.  Or if you would like to fit more frames in... make the two of the sides out of 3/4" boards (one bys) and the other two out of 1/4" luan.  The ends will now be 7 1/8" and the resulting boxes will now hold five frames each...  Just put the luan in the middle to share more heat and fit more frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 04:01:10 am »
I agree, you really don't need any plans to make these. Here's an example of my own 'Mike Palmer's System' but made for the British National Hive, using reclaimed pallet wood. This is a 5-frame nuc system, rather than 4 - but using the same principles.

First make the sides - to the correct length and depth.

Then make the ends - to the required height, allowing for the rebate etc. - with the width being half the width of the 'parent' brood box, less the combined width of two sides. Butt the bits together with screw and glue - and that's it ...

Tip: If you don't have a table saw, I found it speeds up the process considerably if you make a cross-cut sledge for a hand-held circular saw, with a means of pre-setting length cuts. I'll post more details of this if you need ...

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 05:44:23 pm »
Go to Betterbee look in the upper right hand corner and download Betterbee  catalog 2015 look at Pg 35

http://www.betterbee.com/

Hint:if you look at the ten frame box the petition is 3/4" on short sides have no hand holes cleats for handles because when you cut in the dato for petition  it will pop through and make a hole.

Hint: The beekeepers in Lake Champlain Valley ,Vermont rarely used inner covers they use grain bags

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:42:52 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/