Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A question about controlling ANTS  (Read 11564 times)

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
Re: A question about controlling ANTS
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2019, 04:52:47 pm »

Maybe get an Anteater as a new pet?

Now that's funny! Why didn't I think of it???  :happy:

There are these little furry ones, maybe thats zhe perfect one.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
A question about controlling ANTS
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 04:55:53 pm »
For the level of infestation you describe around your property, the suggestion is the bait method.  Drop teaspoon sized globs strategically around the property. Near nests and trails.  It will take 2weeks minimum to effect.  A month later you should notice a significant difference.

2+:1 borax to corn syrup. You could further spike it a bit with some white sugar to enhance sweetness.  Heat the syrup to 150 degF (est).  Stir in the borax.  Add as much as it will take until is a smooth paste.  Let cool.  It will become like a taffy.   Head out to the yard and gleefully dispense.  ;)

The borax is harmless to most animals and birds, but is deadly on insects such as ants.  As with any bait, place with care so the targeted pests easily gets it and yet to minimize collateral effects to others.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2019, 03:44:57 am »
I will do that HP, and thank you.

Right now, the Ant population has been knocked back because of the rains - per usual. By August/September time, after several months without rain, they will be in full bloom and getting aggressive. By then, they start to turn the swimming pool black, and clog the filters. That's when I'll hit them - and they will attack any food source. Thank you for the recipe. I'll update once I've tried it and have some results.

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Haveuseen1?

• New Bee
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 04:55:06 pm »
We have "fire ants" and they will invade the hive and remove eggs, honey and anything else they want.  The bees try to keep them away, but the ants will come in after dark and get a head start on the bees.  We use a granular insect killer spread around the legs.  It usually lasts around 6 weeks, slightly shorter if we get a lot of rain.  I did try the bait stations and I think they worked well.  I might try that again this spring to change it up a little.  My stands are concrete blocks with 4x4s runing through he top hole. I just placed the baitstations on top of the 4x4 in the block.  I think the ease of the granules is nice though.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2019, 12:32:12 am »
Coolbees,
It sounds like you have Crazy Raspberry Ants.
A neighbor of mine has CRAs. They were imported from Texas by his closest neighbor when he moved here from Texas with all his horse equipment. They are attracted to electrical currents. They were so bad that they shut down the NASA Space Station in Houston.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2019, 02:27:49 pm »
CoolBee,
You can take the small disposable 50 count plastic aspirin bottles . Drill 1/6 inch holes around top just under screw on lid. Make a batch of grape,apple jelly with borax mixed in,  use baby spoon and drop in 4 spoon's full,  put cap on and dispense through out yard . You can paint them black so they're not that visible.  Works good , even if wind blows them down.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 03:15:10 pm »
Mike, thanks for that suggestion. I'm going to try each of the ideas provided here as soon as the ants start their buildup in warmer weather. Already I'm seeing them building. We've had above average rainfall this yr. Once things dry out, they get aggressive - that's when I plan on targeting them hard. I'll post how each treatment works in a few months.

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
A question about controlling ANTS
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2019, 10:09:32 pm »
May I suggest you deliberately go on the offensive one month before you expect them to be peaking and becoming a problem.  The bait method is a sustained systemic treatment on the colonies that takes time to effect.  There is quite a delay from when it is put out to when the population really gets knocked back.  If you wait until you notice that they are out in force, then you are 2 weeks to a month too late at having the ideal pre-emptive Impact.
Historically, year to year, when have they become noticeable in mass numbers? Put the bait stations out a month before that.
You will know it worked, is working, and you timed it right when you feel like you wasted your time and effort doing so because there are few to no ants around this season. ;)

Imho
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2019, 09:20:01 pm »
I bought some of these at our farm supply. Works well and fills up with dead ants quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-T300B-2-Pack-Liquid-Baits/dp/B00E4GACB8?keywords=ant+control&qid=1547669628&sr=8-5&ref=sr_1_5

Herbhome, does this work for carpenter ants?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2019, 11:30:06 pm »
I use this.

https://www.amazon.com/T1812-Outdoor-Liquid-Killer-Stakes/dp/B00GRTNRJ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=ant+control&qid=1563934936&s=gateway&sr=8-9

Around my hives I put a plastic jar over it so that the bees do not try to use it. It is sugar water and  boric acid. You place it right along the ant trail. My buddy had a severe carpenter ant problem with them going in his house. He put it where they were entering and he swears by it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2019, 03:19:52 pm »
I wanted to follow-up on this thread.

1st - Thank you to everyone who replied.

I tried several recipes this summer to see which the Ants preferred. The one I found that works in my area is as follows: 1 part honey, 2 parts water, & 1 part borax - heated and stirred till everything is dissolved. I place a tablespoon or 2 into jars, and drilled .201" diam holes in the lids. I placed about 20 jars strategically around the prooerty in Ant-Problem area. The ants seemed to like this a lot. I would estimate that Ant activity is down by 80%+ over the course of the summer.

All recipes with borax & sugar, or corn syrup failed miserably. They never touched it.

We had our first good rain (a little early) a couple weeks ago, and a 2nd rain last night - usually after the first rain of the season, the ants come pouring out of the ground by the millions (billions?) to die. I have not seen an Ant after either rain - so, keeping my fingers crossed. Trees that were covered with ants year-round now seem to be nearly devoid of them (silk trees, curly willows, etc). I will continue to monitor them.

So ... hoping this helps someone ...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2019, 04:13:01 pm »
I'll bet honey did work well.  I do cheap grape jelly.  I think it needs some smell both to attract the ants and to help the ants recruit more ants.  Plain syrup or corn syrup don't have much smell...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2019, 07:39:00 pm »
...  I think it needs some smell both to attract the ants and to help the ants recruit more ants.  Plain syrup or corn syrup don't have much smell...

Yes - that was my experience also. They did not touch or find things that they couldn't smell. My theory was, if they love the hives so much, maybe they'd be attracted to the smell of honey. It worked.

anything