Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee problems  (Read 3312 times)

Offline lilprincess

• New Bee
Bee problems
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:21:12 pm »
I finally had a chance to look inside my two hives today.  One hive looks good but I couldn't find the queen and I saw a couple queen cells that were empty. I saw capped honey and lots of drone cells but not much else.

The other hive is dead. It look alike the caps were scraped off. Bees and larva dead in the comb. There are a few bees but I'm wondering if they are the other hive robbing this one.

This is only my second year and I'm trying my best. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bee problems
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:54:44 pm »
That looks like the hive population went down so low that they could not keep it warm enough to keep the bees from freezing. Normally with bees dead, in the cells, it is from starvation but they are in the same area as the honey.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »
Am I not seeing it right?  I don't see any honey in those pictures.  It looks similar to a hive of mine that died this spring.  The weather warmed early and they started to build up for the spring. Then we got a week long cold spell and they ran out of food.   

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 09:07:36 pm »
Cao,
Look all across the top area of the frame. The bees are right up against it. That tells me they did not have enough bees to keep from freezing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:04:15 pm »
I have to agree with Cao. That's capped brood not honey.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 11:03:04 pm »
If you say so!!!
Ben Franklin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 04:00:53 am »
When I first looked at that top photograph - I've have bet money that was a seam of capped honey above the starvation area immediately below it - and that scenario puzzled me too. It was only by enlarging the top picture that I could begin to make out the numerous thinnings and small openings of the cappings from young bees beginning to emerge.

Extraordinary - I can't ever remember seeing brood cappings quite so white before. At first sight that looks just like capped honey. Full marks to Cao for having such excellent 20/20 vision !
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:46:11 am »
Cao and LJ,
Are you using a computer or an iPhone?
I suspect a computer. I am using an iPhone. I do see what looks like a few larvae that look like they are ready to be capped. Although I'm not sure that some of them are not head in bees.
Good eyes.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 08:10:19 am »
I'm using a phone as well and there's larvae showing through all over the top of the frame. As well as head in bees.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 10:12:50 am »
Hi Jim - iPhone ? - I've never even seen one.  I'm still running Windows 98 on an old coal-fired DELL ...  and I've never sent a text in my life - LOL

Here's an enlargement - hope you'll be able to see it ok on your mini-screen.  There are maybe 2 or 3 dozen there on the point of emerging - I've just highlighted half-a-dozen at random

But those bees should have emerged, and then starved to death.  That they didn't even get to emerge suggests severe chilling - no doubt caused by the colony's collapse due to starvation.  Helluva shame.
LJ (who remembers life before transistors, let alone before computers) :smile:
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 12:38:26 am »
+1 on that being brood and not honey. +1 on starvation and freezing.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline lilprincess

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 05:36:18 pm »
 Thanks guys. It's been a strange spring for sure. I was giving them sugar water but I guess it wasn't enough. It was the emerging larva that really confused me. Almost as if something scraped the caps off.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:46:18 am »
Same here, I thought honey until yall started discussing it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 12:16:25 pm »
Thanks guys. It's been a strange spring for sure. I was giving them sugar water but I guess it wasn't enough. It was the emerging larva that really confused me. Almost as if something scraped the caps off.

Don't worry too much about this.  Bees do way more weird things than the books say and there's no way to really prepare for what a specific colony wants.  We don't have crystal balls.  It's easy to beat yourself up over it.  Don't.   

Keep trying new things.  Observe and ask questions constantly.   After more experience, you'll be a fine beekeeper.

Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline lilprincess

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 10:13:21 pm »
So the next step, what do I do now with the comb? How do I get it ready for another box of bees? I May be able to get another this spring, not sure yet.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 10:41:05 pm »
I'd put them in the freezer for a few days, then into garbage bags sealed good. Next time you have bees, just put the frames in the box of an established hive and they will take care of it.

Offline lilprincess

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 11:55:14 am »
I'd put them in the freezer for a few days, then into garbage bags sealed good. Next time you have bees, just put the frames in the box of an established hive and they will take care of it.
They ate currently fill of dead bees and dead larva. Do I leave them in?

Offline chester5731

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 12:09:44 pm »
They ate currently fill of dead bees and dead larva. Do I leave them in?

Yes. The bees will clean them out and make them how they want them.

Offline lilprincess

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 08:13:39 am »
I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it but the hive is alive! They cleaned the dead bees from the bottom and are working on cleaning the comb. I gave then a quart of sugar water again and will keep it flowing. Waiting for another warm day to open it up and see if they saved the queen or if I need to get a replacement. Incredible!