Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Last hive died off  (Read 4675 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Last hive died off
« on: April 08, 2017, 11:40:14 pm »
I only had two hives I started last year. The one was taken over by wax moths. My last one I just discovered today didn't make it through the winter. I wrapped them here in Michigan and I didn't take any honey. I couldn't find any mites and there was honey left over, mostly in the brood box. I found most of them in the bottom but some looked like they died in place. The whole hive has an old dish rag smell, the best I can describe. I'll start over again this year but any ideas what happened? Should I burn the frames and power wash the rest? I did build a swarm catcher. Should a save some frames as an attractant?
Thanks,
Art

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Last hive died off
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 12:43:43 am »
The smell is probably just the dead bees.  They can get a little rank when they start to decompose(it doesn't take long).  As far as why they died I couldn't say without knowing more.  It could have just been that they couldn't break cluster to move to the honey.  I had one of my hives make it through winter and was starting to raise brood for spring.  Then we had a week of freezing temps at night with highs not making it much above freezing.  That hive ran out of food and starved within a week. 
As far as your frames, the ones in the pictures look good to me.  If you had any bees left I would put them on the hive as is.  Without bees I would put them in the freezer until you get some bees(they will help a new hive out a lot).  If you leave them out the beetles and moths will get them.  If there is enough to mess with you could harvest the honey.
Drawn come in swarm traps will help.  Most people only use a small piece for the smell(the darker the better).  If you put a whole frame in the trap, the wax moths will destroy it.
Hope you get more bees soon.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 01:31:30 am »
Cao,
Thanks, I'll keep at it. Already ordered more bees. I didn't know I could freeze the honey. I thought it would be bad.
Thanks
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:22:36 am »
Possibly lost queen in fall.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Craig Anderson

• New Bee
    • Todays Chapter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 07:56:31 pm »
Possibly lost queen in fall.

I'm curious about them losing the queen in the fall being the reason, would that prevent them from clustering through the winter?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 10:03:44 pm »
No but it would explain perfectly clean comb void of all brood.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 12:58:10 pm »
Acebird, maybe. The hive swarmed in July but they made some queen cells I found durning one inspection but I couldn't tell if she matured, and started laying. Since I didn't know what I was doing, I just left them alone and hoped for the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Check out my Blog!:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 02:33:36 pm »
Dang Flex, I hate to hear that about your bees.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 02:37:00 pm »
Well with that bit of information it could be that the virgin never got mated.  I don't think that was a bad decision to leave them alone but there are risks.  Not all virgins make it.  In July you had enough time to confirm that the virgin got mated.  If not, your only recourse would have been to supply a mated queen if you didn't want to combine them with another.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline chester5731

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 08:34:21 pm »
Looks like the two packages I started last May. In February the queens were laying but when I checked them this weekend they were both dead. I showed them to my mentor and he said from what he could see all the wet weather we had got to them. They still had honey and pollen left but they were dead a couple frames over. Like they got damp and chilled and didn't move. More bees ordered.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 05:40:11 am »
Dang Flex, I hate to hear that about your bees.

I know, right? Thanks..a little bit of some Freshman hazing huh? Let's see what the Sophamore year brings, shall we?  :wink:
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 05:43:15 am »
Well with that bit of information it could be that the virgin never got mated.  I don't think that was a bad decision to leave them alone but there are risks.  Not all virgins make it.

I found 4 queen cells in that hive. Maybe they duked it out??
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 05:45:37 am »
Looks like the two packages I started last May. They still had honey and pollen left but they were dead a couple frames over. Like they got damp and chilled and didn't move. More bees ordered.

Our State is really tough on bees. I ordered 3 more package bees, one from Michigan this time.
Check out my Blog!:

Offline chester5731

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 09:13:46 am »

Our State is really tough on bees. I ordered 3 more package bees, one from Michigan this time.
[/quote
I ordered four more packages of Italians from Georgia and one ten frame hive of Carnies from up by Cadillac. The Carnies where over wintered in Michigan. We will see what happens.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 04:53:26 pm »

[/quote
I ordered four more packages of Italians from Georgia and one ten frame hive of Carnies from up by Cadillac.
My last two were Italians from Georgia. I'm interested how your Cadillac bees will do.
Check out my Blog!:

Offline chester5731

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 05:11:20 pm »
Flex, did you get your Georgia bees from Napoleon Bee Supply?

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 05:45:08 pm »

[/quote
I ordered four more packages of Italians from Georgia and one ten frame hive of Carnies from up by Cadillac.
My last two were Italians from Georgia. I'm interested how your Cadillac bees will do.

Do you like the Carnies or Italians better?

Offline chester5731

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 05:55:51 pm »
This will be my first experience with carnies. From what I understand they are supposed to overwinter well but we will find out.

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 09:03:59 pm »
I install 4 carnie packages last May and so far they have over winter very well. 2 of them are absolutely booming. I got all 4 packages from Turtlebee Farms is Byron, Michigan. I got 150 pounds on honey off them the first year 2016.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 09:57:00 pm »

My advise to anyone that buys non local package bees is to consider requeening with a local queen sometime during the summer/fall.  This especially goes the farther north you are.  Local queens will overwinter much better.