Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Input on Bee Hive Manufactures  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Stillfishing

• New Bee
Input on Bee Hive Manufactures
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:28:32 am »
Looking to buy my first hive, i was looking for some input on some manufactures that the community would recommend. I am looking to go with the langstroth 10 frame deep hive. I have no problem lifting anything heavy, so size doesn't matter, i just want happy bees!!

Thanks Everyone,
Chris

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
Re: Input on Bee Hive Manufactures
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:57:38 am »
This topic has received several replies over on the Facebook page (in case you hadn't noticed).

I personally run Langstroth 10 frame deeps on the bottom with medium supers on top for my hives. But I'm just getting started, as of last May, and have much to learn as well.

You may already know this, but just in case . . . a little FYI - The Deeps when full of honey will weigh upwards of 90 lbs and the Mediums weigh in the 60s. Just something to consider. You may not have a problem lifting anything heavy under normal conditions, but a 90 lb box full of honey and bees while working in a suit can be a little awkward at times. Depending on how high you stack them and how and where they are placed . . . i.e. what sort of stand, what the surround ground is like etc.

I also expect to explore Top Bar Hives in the future, but I have my hands full with around 20 Langs at the present.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:11:32 am »
The beekeeping community is quite small.  All of the main companies do a fine job in my experience.  Anyone who didn't would quickly be out of business...  I'd look more at prices including shipping.  A close place may be cheaper.  Picking things up may save shipping.  Some of the long time big suppliers:

Walter T. Kelley
Dadant & Sons
Simpson's Bee Supply (NC)
Brushy Mt. Bee Farm
Mann Lake Ltd.
Western Bee Supply
Betterbee

There are some other more regional ones like Browning Cut Stock and Humble Abodes etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Stillfishing

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:39:02 am »
Thank you for the input!! i will probably be going with Mann Lake because there not to far from me.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:18:08 am »
>I have no problem lifting anything heavy, so size doesn't matter, i just want happy bees!!

When a deep box is full of honey it weighs 90 pounds.  You pry it loose from the propolis, and the weight sticks it back down.  Now you go to lift it and it takes the 90 pound box below it so you're lifting 180 pounds until the propolis lets go and now you're back to 90 pounds...

Size always matters...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:53:07 pm »
I refer a lot of beekeepers to Mann Lake Ltd for you get free shipping on $100.00 orders.
It's not hard to spend a hundred dollars and they have good products.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

anything