Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Polysterene ore wood in winter climate?  (Read 4489 times)

Offline Slungan

• New Bee
Polysterene ore wood in winter climate?
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:55:24 am »
I use polysterene but have some issues with them.
Im thinking of going over to uninsolated wood bodys instead.
What do you beekeepers that live in winter climate use?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Polysterene ore wood in winter climate?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:13:17 pm »
I am not sure of the differences in our weather but here I use wood year round. When we get below 30F during the days I put pink closed cell house insulation sheets ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-InsulPink-R7-5-Furring-Lap-Insulation-Board-1-1-2-in-x-2-ft-x-8-ft-43WD/100320293?N=5yc1vZbaxx ) on around the sides of the hives. The sheets get taped on and can easily be removed and stored for the next year. I leave the front entrance open and a vent hole for moisture release at the top.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:33:31 pm »
I like that way of doing things

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:19:49 pm »

We had 50 below wind chill for extended periods last winter, I lost one of seventeen hives housed in wooden boxes, the pink foam on top the inner cover and wrapped with tar paper..   1" upper entrance and the lower entrances (3") were usually plugged with snow.
   A lot depends on how many hives you have. I would consider trying foam around the hive for winter but have just over 40 hives now.. it would be a real pain to deal with that much foam..    If you have only a few hives give it a try on a couple of them and see how it works!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Slungan

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 06:06:08 am »
Thanks for your answers,im going to give it a try with a couple of hives

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:44:06 pm »
If you use polystyrene then only have a bottom entrance. Polystyrene has great benefits compared to wood but only with bottom entrances. If you must have top entrances you might as well go with wood as top entrances with polystyrene is not only counterproductive but harmful.

If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:52:15 am »
People have been using wood in pretty cold climates for very long times, so they are fine, period. that being said, it doesn't hurt to put up or have wind and snow barriers around the hives or them wintered in semi sheltered areas. removing the winds ability to rip into a hive helps a lot, imo. and well bees like to be sort of sheltered like that I think, that is why they build their nests in solid tree trunks, inside caves, etc.They will build up their own heat bubble, but it can't have air circulating too much to wick that heat away constantly. many beeks bury their hives in snow in the winter in fact. with a small entrance hole. snow is a insulator in itself. a problem you have to worry about is excess moisture. though. if you are in a super cold climate, the snow stays frozen until it isn't. some climates freeze, then unfreeze, freeze and then unfreeze, and that isn't good I don't think.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:00:21 pm »
The only time I tried polystyrene the condensation was a problem.  Mine are all wood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:58 am »
The only time I tried polystyrene the condensation was a problem.  Mine are all wood.

What problem ... ? The existence of condensation is not a problem of itself... so what was it doing to your bees.
Was this top closed or with vent?
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 09:44:01 am »
>What problem ... ? The existence of condensation is not a problem of itself... so what was it doing to your bees.

I have overwintered bees for 40 years and yes you will always have condensation.  It's a problem when there is a lot of it and it drips on the bees.

>Was this top closed or with vent?

The entrance was a hole about 1" in diameter (2.5 cm) in the front of the box about 3/4 of the way up.  I have done similar things with wood with good results.  I had four of the styrofoam boxes with bees in each.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
>What problem ... ? The existence of condensation is not a problem of itself... so what was it doing to your bees.

I have overwintered bees for 40 years and yes you will always have condensation.  It's a problem when there is a lot of it and it drips on the bees.

>Was this top closed or with vent?

The entrance was a hole about 1" in diameter (2.5 cm) in the front of the box about 3/4 of the way up.  I have done similar things with wood with good results.  I had four of the styrofoam boxes with bees in each.

Thought so ...
Did you try no top vent?

To go polystyrene you need to take on the full system not keep bits of what you did before. i.e. upper vent. If snow is a problem, find a solution to the snow without using  top entrances (there are several solutions pick one)

The heat transfer physics and Apiculture research shows shows you cant mix  high heat loss tactics with  low heat loss tactics successfully.  The extra energy you save withthe insulation goes into driving convection and other not helpful things.

The  insulation fixes any dropping on the bees. To make insulation work and keep the condensation off the bees  dont have any top vent at all.
If you start putting vents in it isnt going to work.

If top vents are an article of your bee keeping faith, dont bother with insulation or polystyrene  and I wont bother trying to reason with you.

But if you are willing to try something new, Them  Polystyrene, no top vent, and keep the snow from blocking the bottom by either shelter , taller stands, shovel. Keep the skunks away with taller stands, wire, guns etc...

Polystyrene used properly is not a wood replacement, but a beekeeping system, A low heat loss system.

I do talks overhere on the heat transfer in beehives and tree nests, I have  2 hour question sessions with ventilation die-hard and most of them are convinced that a low heat loss bottom ventilation system is for them.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:20:47 pm by derekm »

anything