Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Painting the outside of boxes with enamel vs latex or linseed oil?  (Read 4170 times)

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
I'm wanting to repaint a couple of *bright yellow* boxes that I recently acquired (a bit too bright for my liking) as well as paint the raw wood on the covers and bottoms. I've read that most people that elect to paint their boxes use an outdoor grade latex paint, which is all fine and good. However, I have been in the sign business for many years and just happen to have a surplus of bulletin enamel paint handy. This is the type of paint that I have been using on billboards over the years and know it weathers pretty well. It is a 10 year rated outdoor paint that lasts about 2/3's that long down here in the south Texas sun, which is not too bad for the price.

My main question and concern is about the bees, not the actual paint and if it will work . . . I don't know of any reason it will hurt them or cause any problems, but I thought I should double check first.

Does anyone know of any reasons that a good grade of enamel paint should NOT be used on the outside of wooden boxes, provided a good primer is used first? I know the paint will work well and hold up good under all sorts of weather conditions, I'm just wanting to make sure that there are not any reasons that may effect the bees.

I'm also planning to build a few more boxes and since I like the natural wood look better than paint for my hives, I'm interested to hear what is working well for others in this area - different types of oil or oil and wax combos, e.g. linseed oil, vs any of the other oils and/or mixing terps and oils .... or even oil or resins and beeswax mixes?

Any input here would be appreciated.
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Painting the outside of boxes with enamel vs latex or linseed oil?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:48:11 pm »
The biggest problem is, how long will it take for the paint to dry to the point it does not interfere with the bees communication. We use smoke to interfere with their communication but it is only for a few minutes. If your paint dries to the point that there is very little smell before you put the bees in it then it will be OK.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:42:33 pm »
GD,
I can not help you with most of your questions but I can tell you one thing about linseed oil.... it will mildew. I do not like mildew on wood...

I used http://www.penofin.com/products_rl.shtml
transparent.

Here is another post with a similar question... you can see some of my pics there...

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,44477.0.html

Good luck
I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 03:24:43 pm »
Thanks for the info guys and great looking work on the hives there in that linked post.
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 05:05:30 pm »
Mineral oil may be good

as far as enamel paint goes. aint that the stuff that pealed off walls in little bits?

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:58:05 pm »
Yes. d2

anything