Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first hive  (Read 12708 times)

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
My first hive
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:16:04 am »
I got a five frame nuc 2 days ago.  Successfully installed it (I think I saw the queen).  I have a lot to learn.

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
Re: My first hive
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 04:34:51 am »
I decided to build a 4 frame nuc system after watching a lot of videos by Michael Palmer.  I won't experience the same winters as he here in the tropics of Queensland, but I am sure there are benefits to a nuc system for me too.

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:39:10 am »
I conducted my first inspection today.  FYI, because I am running 4 frames wide and the new nuc was 5 frames, I place the two outside frames in the centre of the top box and the cenre three frames in the bottom box.  All spare spaces were filled with foundation.

I am keen to receive any help/observations from what you see in the photos here as I have no experience.

In the two days since install, they have consumed about 1L of 1:1 syrup.

Inside top box.  Is the SHB trap too tight in there?

Frame 3 top box

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 04:41:02 am »
Frame 2 top box

Frame 4 bottom box

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:50:04 am »
Frame 3 bottom box

Frame 2 bottom box

My observations:
The bees were alive and calm.  I used a couple of puffs of smoke before opening the hive, then none after.  I was not able to see the queen or any evidence of egg laying, however I have no experience.  There were a couple of emergency cells? which I squashed gently.  There are a few small hive beetles running around in there.

I am willing to take any and all advice to help with my learning at this early stage .

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:46:08 am »
There were a couple of emergency cells? which I squashed gently.

No brood and you killed emergency cells?  Bad intervention.  Number one newbie mistake, doesn't ask questions before doing something.  The hard way to learn.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 09:02:04 am »
If there are no open larva in there, and I don't see any, you don't have a nuc. I would take it back and get a replacement or my money back.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 09:05:53 am »
There were a couple of emergency cells? which I squashed gently.

No brood and you killed emergency cells?  Bad intervention.  Number one newbie mistake, doesn't ask questions before doing something.  The hard way to learn.

Firstly, are they emergency cells?  Are you seeing no brood also?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 10:41:38 am »
I see bees, honey and pollen.  What I don't see capped brood, open brood and the queen.  I don't really expect to see the queen in your photos, but I would expect to see at least a full frames worth of brood.  If you saw the queen then she hasn't started laying yet(or is a dud).  Was this an established nuc or was it five frames that a queen was added and sold as a nuc?  I'm with iddee.  You don't have a nuc.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 02:05:18 pm »
Wiifm,
I?m with Iddee and CAO. Take it back and get a real Nuc. Putting 5 frames in a box with some bees does not make a Nuc.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 06:35:03 pm »
Wilfm - looks like an Aptitore on top of your frames.

Apitore contains Fibronil and should NEVER be placed on top of frames as the condensation will carry the poison to the honey and bees

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 06:38:56 pm »
Mate as all the others have said "You have been sold a pup!"
That is not a nuc there is no brood, capped or otherwise. As a new beekeeper it is sometimes hard to see the queen but if there is a queen there and she is healthy, there will be eggs, larvae and pupae plus capped brood. I don't see any of that. I would also be concerned that there were replacement queen cells in a nuc that you just bought not a good sign for one. With none of the above and the fact that you have destroyed the 2 replacement QC's the bees that you are looking at have no chance to raise a replacement queen as there are no eggs. All those bees will be dead in a few weeks and you will have an empty hive.
I know you live in the winter less north but I am a little concerned that someone would be selling you a nuc going into winter. Up there altho not cold you don't get a flow during winter and you have just come out of a really wet season.
My advice is to go back to the person who sold you this and ask for your money back.  Buy a nuc from someone reputable come spring. Now is not the time of year to start off your hives.
Join a beekeeping club as well, people that are used to keeping bees up there plus they will be able to help you in spring get set up with bees properly.
Also remember that a lot of the contributions from people here on the forum are in the USA and they are going in to spring and Summer while we are heading in to winter. How they are managing their bees at the moment is completely different to what we are doing.
Good luck.

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 07:25:02 pm »
Thanks all for your advice.  I have contacted the supplier and he is visiting with me on Wednesday to resolve the issue.  He's claiming his boys gave me the wrong box and we are going to do a swap.

@Bamboo,  I'm aware that it's not an ideal time of the year to start, but my plan is to keep the feed up to them until I get them into 'spring'.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 08:20:06 pm »
@Bamboo,  I'm aware that it's not an ideal time of the year to start, but my plan is to keep the feed up to them until I get them into 'spring'.

It would be wrong to sell a newbie anything other than an established hive in the fall without 100% guarantee that you would have a viable hive in the spring.  I hope this guy makes it right for you.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 09:27:38 pm »
Thanks for your concern @Acebird.  It looks like he will come through with the goods.  I don't know if there are any guarantees in beekeeping, but I do expect to receive a colony with a laying queen.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 11:18:09 pm »
I got a five frame nuc 2 days ago.  Successfully installed it (I think I saw the queen).  I have a lot to learn.
As much as I do loathe RTFM comments I am going to ask most politely, have you?
ANY printed material with photos?

My opinion only in saying managing towered nuclei is a skill on it's own...and often
undertaken by muchly  experienced apiarists with mobilty troubles.

Bill

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 11:20:19 pm »
Thanks all for your advice.  I have contacted the supplier and he is visiting with me on Wednesday to resolve the issue.  He's claiming his boys gave me the wrong box and we are going to do a swap.

Feeding...?.. in Cairns!! :rollseyes:

Bill

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 11:23:13 pm »

It would be wrong to sell a newbie anything other than an established hive in the fall without 100% guarantee that you would have a viable hive in the spring.  I hope this guy makes it right for you.

Rest assured Brian... I am not this supplier.
Of course you would not have such a thoughty, buuuuut;
Just so I know you know :-))))

Bill

Offline wiifm

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 03:06:05 am »
relax @eltalia.   No one, least of all me is accusing you of having sold me the box of bees.

I have read plenty for the past month (enough to make the conscious decision to build towered nucs).  And I am sure their will be no end of more reading.

One of the things I have read and heard from multiple sources is to feed 1:1 syrup for a month after installing a nuc.  Also, going into dry season with no knowledge of local flows causes me to er on the side of feeding.

Ultimately, the best learning is in the doing.  I can see why you'd fear the worst. A guy with his first posts showing a non laying nuc in a towered nuc system feeding bees.  I am a fast learner.  Hopefully I can get through this first year without damaging too many bees or your optic nerve in the meantime  :cool:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 06:07:11 pm »
@wiifm wrote in part;
 "A guy with his first posts showing a non laying nuc in a towered nuc system feeding bees. "

[nodding]
... certainly not a good look, no.

We (BMA) do not get so many virgin b'keeps posting here - no doubt many read
tho' - and maybe that scarcity is partly 'cos I know all here remain as enthusiastic
as that day smoke ran across their first frame, and bees went down, but the
wisdom...?... well that tower is rock solid.

Feeding Apis.m above 28S Lat. in this Country has to indicate one of two
unchangeable facets of beekeeping;
a) local conditions deny bees an existance
b) in the eye of the owner bees are another pet pu55y

Cairns - Far North Queensland -  is most definitely not Cat a).
And Cat b) is yet to reveal itself.

....welcome. Mind how you go, enjoy!

Bill
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:41:33 am by eltalia »

anything