Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Suspending my Bee keeping  (Read 7671 times)

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Suspending my Bee keeping
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 04:49:22 pm »
I had to look up agistment, since it's not a word used much in the states. 
Prompts me to ask if Australia still uses the Torrens system for real property.

I had to go check "Torrens System" DB, knew the name not
the detail...heh :)
"Agistment" is agreed temporary occupation, and comes with
Rights. It can be "free" or "fee for service". With bees that fee
is often just the mutual benefit for landholder and apiarist.
As to Torrens?
In Queensland we also have "USL", unallocated State lands which
fall under Crown Land 'owned' by the Federal G'mnt. Overarching
 all that there is now "Native Title", a situation where indigenous
people can and do claim land rights. In all of it I would offer Torrens
is now redundant.

Bill

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 05:27:37 pm »
In most states, title insurance companies get a big fat juicy premium every time land is sold, to "insure" that there are no liens, encubrances or claims against the property.  In a few states, the lawyers get the business doing abstracts of title to do basically the same thing before the title insurance company gets its bite.  This is an appreciable amount of money we're talking about.  If you refinance the mortgage on a house after six months, they get paid all over again. 

In most states, automobile title are issued by the state when a vehicle is sold, for a nominal amount.  That's like the Torrens system, as I understand it.  I'd love to have that system for real property, but you know who would kill that idea.  Title insurance pays for errors at the rate of about 1/10th of 1 per cent, so it's a cash cow and we property buyers lose on every transaction.

Just wondered if you had changed that since I studied it in law school 50 years ago.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 05:33:12 pm »
I had to look up agistment, since it's not a word used much in the states.  Prompts me to ask if Australia still uses the Torrens system for real property.
Yes the Torrens Title system is used in Australia but only in New South Wales, Victoria, and South Australia. You may ask why not all Australia? Well with the different states here they all like to do their own thing and we all know what pollies are like. 2 States that adjoin each other even have different rail gauges, go figure.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:20 pm »
I had to look up agistment, since it's not a word used much in the states.  Prompts me to ask if Australia still uses the Torrens system for real property.
Yes the Torrens Title system is used in Australia but only in New South Wales, Victoria, and South Australia. You may ask why not all Australia? Well with the different states here they all like to do their own thing and we all know what pollies are like. 2 States that adjoin each other even have different rail gauges, go figure.

Unbelievable.  It is so obviously superior to our system (except in the eyes of title insurance companies, of course) that I would have thought it would be adopted throughout Australia.  As to railroad gauges, we have narrow gauge left over from railroads in mountainous mining areas and standard gauge, but, yeah, I've heard how trains going from China to Mongolia are lifted from the trucks (axles and wheels) of one gauge and placed on trucks of a different gauge.

We all should live with the standard of Europe and the rest of the civilized world for the width of a traffic lane, which is derived from the width of two horses pulling a Roman chariot  :cool:   If it was good enough for Caesar, it should be good enough for the rest of us.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 09:01:31 pm »
States that adjoin each other even have different rail gauges, go figure.

Is it a union thing that forces transfers from one system to another?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 09:08:21 pm »
If it was good enough for Caesar, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

I disagree.  The rails today should be sized such that it allows the trains to go faster.  We ship too much in this country by truck and air which is so inefficient.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 09:38:57 pm »
If it was good enough for Caesar, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

I disagree.  The rails today should be sized such that it allows the trains to go faster.  We ship too much in this country by truck and air which is so inefficient.

Did you miss the emoji?  Of course it's irrational.  But changing gauge won't allow trains to go faster.  Improvements in the rail bed might help.  Getting engineers off their cell phones might help prevent accidents.  Getting passenger and freight trains off the same tracks might help.  Making freight movement a national priority definitely would help. 

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 09:46:08 pm »

We all should live with the standard of Europe and the rest of the civilized world for the width of a traffic lane, which is derived from the width of two horses pulling a Roman chariot  :cool:   If it was good enough for Caesar, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

Yes but I am not sure that Caesar envisaged Hummers and all the other fairly large vehicles that you have running around there. And how would all the school Mums cope with narrower lanes in their big SUV's (or whatever they are called there) they struggle to keep them in the lanes now let alone park one!!? :smile:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 01:54:31 am »
" they struggle to keep them in the lanes now let alone park one!!? :smile:  "

... not forgetting the jacking pillow their buns rest on so the road can be seen. heh heh...
Buuut, wait..!..."hands free - there is an App for that! ".
:rolleyes:

Our first 'family car' the missus had to learn quicktime how to feather the "gas pedal" to
do a clutchless change. Second lesson, after showing her how to park defensively to best
help a starter-motor engaged engine start. A column shift jobbie, it didn't help the bench
seat had only two of it's four secure bolts tied in...on the passenger side.
Still, even she agreed twas a very comfortable 'seat' at the DriveIn Pix!!
 :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Coming from a bike ride only before wedlock we thought we were "flash as a rat with a
gold tooth" in that tank..
                                       :grin:

Bill

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 04:55:41 am »

Our first 'family car' the missus had to learn quicktime how to feather the "gas pedal" to
do a clutchless change. Second lesson, after showing her how to park defensively to best
help a starter-motor engaged engine start.

Bill
Wot no clutch or just too hard to teach double declutch? Ah yes parked many a beast to enable 2nd gear dropped clutch with enough speed to continue the journey :cheesy:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 09:32:31 am »
Wot no clutch or just too hard to teach double declutch?

..no clutch, an' I forget why that was but no doubt it was
my fault. I learnt early not to contradict SWMBO :)

Bill

anything