Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 8 frame or 10 frame??  (Read 11843 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: 8 frame or 10 frame??
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 11:31:53 am »
And with a ten frame deep langstroth box full of honey you have a box that is about halfway between arms length and at your body.  And you have to handle it anywhere from the ground to over your head and it weighs (full of honey) 40kg (90 pounds) when it isn't glued to the box below.  After you pry it loose, it glues itself back down so you may be lifting 80 kg (180 pounds) until it lets go again.  The eight frame boxes have eliminated the two frames furthest from your body (the ones with the most mechanical disadvantage) and you have a lighter box that gets glued back down less (because of less weight).  The eight frame medium full of honey weighs 22kg at the most.  And if you look at the above chart, that's still on the heavy side...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline LKBruns

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 05:52:51 pm »
I am a first year beekeeper.  I started with all 8 frame mediums.  Next year I am going to try starting several 8 frame deeps.  My only reason is that when performing hive inspectiobs it takes longer to inspect 3-4 medium boxes than I think it will to inspect 2 deeps.

This year the local bee club urged everyone to inspect for American Foul Brood and Wax moths.  I found by the time I inspected down to the bottom medium that some hives were really stirred up.  It seems to me unstacking 2 deeps will be less intrusive than unstacking two or three medium boxes.

For me the final decision has yet to be made.  As with many things beekeeping it becomes personal preference.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 04:46:22 pm »
> My only reason is that when performing hive inspectiobs it takes longer to inspect 3-4 medium boxes than I think it will to inspect 2 deeps.

I had deeps for 26 years or more.  I've had all mediums for the last 15 years or so.  I can inspect a medium hive much quicker.  Not so long ago I spend the day looking for queens in all deeps for a friend.  I can find a queen in a sweep across a medium.  I have to circle the deep frame several times to be sure I didn't miss the queen.  And my arms and wrists were very tired at the end of a day of looking for queens on deep frames...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 12:38:10 pm »
As you can see - the onus is upon the employer to ensure that employees don't injure themselves.

Industry frowns very much on lifting anything out away from the body no matter how light it is because they don't want a bad habit to exist.  Most manual lifting is from the ground to table height or from table height to another table.  The chart shows that woman have a disadvantage over men for lifting based on the general population.  That maybe so but if a job requires a lot of lifting then the average woman is not going to take the job.  What happens is a stockier woman would take the job and in this case she would have the advantage because of her low center of gravity.  Equipment is usually required to lift to shoulder height and above.
A beekeeper could be compared to a small farm where all the rules are broken.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 06:50:11 pm »
    I wonder How many beekeepers. On this board use deeps for honey supers. Seen this a lot and commercial beekeeping  Operations... I find one downfall with 8 frame boxes.... You get to stack them much higher... Then 10 frame boxers... This has been my personal experience.. For my brood nest I do run two deeps and one medium. On 10 frame equipment... That would be 4/8 frame  deep boxers.. You are already about 10" higher..
Just bring your ladder....  :wink:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:56 pm »
Or harvest the honey more often.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 06:17:58 pm »
I started with 8 frame mediums and I have not had any problems. I rarely use queen excluders and normally all the brood is contained in the bottom 3 boxes. It's easier for me when building my own boxes to have everything the same size. Good Luck.

Offline Vikingcnp

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 01:56:08 am »
 I just eat up a double 4 frame Nuc hive similar to Michael Palmers system.
Double box on the bottom with a divider. 2 single four frame Nuc boxes for the next story. I am building two more boxes this week. 2 four frame deep Nuc boxes are the same size as a ten frame deep.

I was able to recycle inner and outer covers as well as the screened bottom board by adapting to 4 frame sizes.