Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splitting a Package of Bees  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Splitting a Package of Bees
« on: June 23, 2017, 10:52:37 am »
 My bees disappeared last year. One weekend is was a packed hive, the following weekend, I went out to wrap them for the winter and all that was there were hornets and about 50 lbs of honey.
 So, I started new this year. At the beginning of April, I got a package of bees. I put them in a deep with maybe 5 fully draw frames and 5 partly drawn frames. I added a second deep 3 or 4 weeks later.
 I decided to split them last week. The top deep had 6 frames of brood and 4 frames of capped and uncapped honey. I took the top deep and split it into two more hives and gave them each a queen. I also took a frame of the honey from each of the new hives and put it back into the new deep I added to the first hive.
 If things go well, I was thinking of doing another split from the first hive in the middle of July.
 My question is, when is the latest a split could be done in New England? All my drawn and partially drawn frames are now in hives so any splits would be getting brand new frames.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Splitting a Package of Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 06:33:06 pm »
some times how late a split is done is dependant on the honey flow available between the split and winter.
Also from the original hive you have taken a large chunk of the next generation of bees, we would never take 6 frames of brood from a hive at once. A lot of potential nurse bees lost from the hive. So if you plan to split again, how will that effect the original hive population going into Autumn?

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 07:11:05 pm »
@Steel Tiger;

All that reads as fantastic in colony growth rates, assuming your bottom "deep"
was/is as well ahead as the top "deep" in respect of brood frames. Lucks to your bees!
To address your question?
Propagation is more about bee numbers than flows or honey storage levels.
Where brood frames are well covered and egg VS new bees are obviously well sustained
you could expect a successful split when done maybe six weeks before a dearth (wintering or rainy season).
It is a managed risk to rely on honey flows as colony survival depends more on emerging brood
than significant stores of honey. Emerging brood comes from sufficient nursing with backup
pollen stores, usually a feature of developed brood frames.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 11:02:52 pm »
 I should have mentioned that the bottom deep had 7 frames of brood. An 8th frame had a small patch of capped brood on one side and the rest was honey. I'll be checking the splits in 4 more days to see if the queens were accepted.

anything