Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Red Wasp and Varroa mite.  (Read 1022 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

Red Wasp and Varroa mite.
« on: July 02, 2018, 08:40:03 pm »
No varroa, no signs of varroa on a Red Wasp nest.

I had to eliminate a red wasp nest.  The nest had brood of all ages from eggs to capped brood so I inspected closely.  In brief, I could see no signs of varroa.

I uncapped the brood carefully and closely checked the bottom of the cell because I had sprayed with poison.  I figured if there was Varroa I would have killed the mites when I sprayed the wasp nest.  I tried to shake out any dead mites, checked to see if mites were dead and attached to the walls of the cell.  I could not find any trace of varroa mites in a freshly killed Red Wasp nest.  Also I should note I have not heard of mites affecting wasp.  I have seen a pic of a mite on a yellow jacket but I really can?t draw conclusions from a single picture. 

Blessings

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Red Wasp and Varroa mite.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:09 pm »
Van,
What is the life cycle of a red wasp from egg to hatching. I suspect the pupa stage is a lot shorter than 11 days. This would make it impossible for mites to develop in time.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 10:21:25 pm »
That is a good thought Jim.  I really have no knowledge of wasp reproduction.  I know to stay away from wasp, been stung several times just walking close to a wasp nest that I was not aware of until it was to late.  In this area, Arkansas the Red Wasp are more defensive than the smaller black wasp.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:31:20 pm »
Van,
I did some checking and I could not find any actual number of days.
That is interesting. Here if you walk under a black wasp nest there is a good chance you will be stung.  The last few years red wasps seem to bee taking over and I have them over door ways and on my dock roof, I just this evening saw 8 red wasp nest, and if I did not see them I would not know they are there.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything