BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Lemon Balm

<< < (2/2)

steve:
I use a spray bottle of 1 to 1 sugar syrup (qt.) with a couple of drops of wintergreen sprayed on the inside of the new hive and frames.... this also works exceptionally well for swarm introduction if I have no drawn comb, just foundation.
                  Steve

lobstafari:
Steve,
  What does that really do? Does it just help them start drawing out faster? Or keep them from leaving the hive?  Or just make them feel more at home? :)  I sprayed sugar water on my super frames to get them to go up through the excluder and start drawing, but never heard of these other additives, just curious,
Thanks, Jeremy

steve:
Jeremy,
     What it really does is two fold, first the wintergreen masked the "new wood" smell and secound the sugar syrup keeps the bees in the hive
 ( sucking up the syrup ) long enough so their smell permeates the hive,
  after a couple of hours the sugar syrup is all cleaned up and the hive smells like home!
       This system also works exceptionally well when adding frames of bees and brood from one hive to another. Spray the new frame or frames of bees and put them into the recieceing hive.....the wintergreen masked the old hive smell and the bees on both sides are busy cleaning each other......no fighting....quick and easy !!!
                                             Steve

snowzerdog:
You may be doing a twofold thing there as organic beekeeping is experimenting with wintergreen as a varroa control spray

steve:
You're quite right Snowzerdog, I use screened bottom boards on my hives
 and do sugar rolls and mite drop test on sticky boards to determine mite populations before medicating, (IPM)........it works.....cost of meds. per year is down 67% in my yards......and for the most part organics are cheaper and for sure a lot safer.
                                                  Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version