BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Lemon Balm

(1/2) > >>

Lesli:
One of my books on herbs suggests rubbing the inside of the hive with lemon balm. I do have some growing here, so I've done that with my new hives.

The nucs I ordered should be coming this week, so I'll let you know how the bees seem to like it.

Has anyone ever heard of this, or is it just herbalist lore?

lobstafari:
Whats the purpose?  Does it say?  I just put the bees right into unfinished pine hives, and they seem to do just fine.

Lesli:

--- Quote from: lobstafari ---Whats the purpose?  Does it say?  I just put the bees right into unfinished pine hives, and they seem to do just fine.
--- End quote ---

It just says, "To condition the bee hive, rub with lemon balm."

Shrug. Maybe bees like lemony stuff.

Blackbird:
I read an article in American Bee Journal that lemon grass has a similar effect as the queens pheremons. You could use it to catch a swarm. maybe lemon balm is the same?

Stacie

Lesli:

--- Quote from: Blackbird ---I read an article in American Bee Journal that lemon grass has a similar effect as the queens pheremons. You could use it to catch a swarm. maybe lemon balm is the same?

Stacie
--- End quote ---

Maybe--lemon grass and lemon balm have a very strong lemon scent. I guess if it does have a similar effect, it would make the bees happy in their new home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version