Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45856 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2022, 08:21:49 am »
Max, our friend Oldbeavo is from Nth Victoria and is a pollinator. Is their enough beekeepers such as Oldbeavo as well as beekeepers from other parts of Australia to cover the emergency needs for pollination of Almonds this one season, without hives being brought from NSW?  If small hobby beekeepers chimed in with a few hives each, volunteering the service of those hives for the effort of the cause, could there be enough to find a way around this, this one season? No doubt, in appreciation, the Almond Industry would reward the owners of these volunteered hives generously... I realize their is a no move ordinance for your country, but wouldn't this be a better alternative than what is being planned?

(Kind of like the candle burning effect of one candle multiplied by One Hundred Thousand, each together making a bright light, as described just yesterday: by Former Governor of Arkansas Mike Huckabee; Dad of Sara Sanders Huckabee, former Press Secretary for Donald Trump for 3 1/2 years, on the topic). "Mike Huckabee Opens With Reflections of Expo 72"

Phillip

« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 08:44:34 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2022, 06:37:54 pm »
Hi Phillip,

A lot of hives would generally be taken from Queensland to the Almonds.
It is a long way and they have to travel via NSW.

The reason hives are taken for pollination from the North  is simple - it is much warmer here and we can build up hives.

Vitoria is much colder and I would assume it would be very difficult to get hives ready.

The other issue is numbers - very much like in the US were such a high number of hives are required for Almonds.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2022, 06:40:34 pm »
Looks like we can now inspect hives, extract honey etc (with some restrictions in place) With swarming season only a couple of months away, the timeline for potentially eradicating this outbreak is quite short. It would be an amazing effort if authorities can eliminate this pest but my heart and head are seeing this situation differently.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2022, 06:48:32 pm »
LESGOLD - I'm in Qld - no restrictions here.

Are you in NSW?

max

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2022, 06:57:19 pm »
Yes Max. I?m on the South Coast at Batemans Bay.  I?m only about 400km from the outbreaks.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2022, 08:12:05 pm »
A worry.
I spend a lot of time researching Varroa - always did have an interest and have been breeding Hygenic Queens for years. I also have 20 queens on order - from a NSW breeder to keep my genetics in good order. Not sure if I will be able to bring them up - probably best not to.Which means I will be spending more time breeding queens

As far as I know I have two other hives within close range but this does not make it safe.

My brother in law lives near Nowra.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2022, 04:33:11 am »
" I made the point that if they were not willing to take strong actions ? including using fipronil bait stations to kill feral colonies ? that their chances of eradication would be zero.
Although I have only had indirect communication with the DPI during this incursion, I am encouraged that they are indeed preparing to perform such baiting.
The commercial beekeepers in the country are well aware that the possibility of complete eradication are slim, but it?s clear that the agency, based upon lack of detections outside the containment zone, feels that they still have a fighting chance."

I have read someweher that they are using fibronil baits.

Can't find it.

I do hope that we have a " figthing chance"

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2022, 08:25:36 am »

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2022, 08:47:44 pm »
That?s encouraging Max. Can?t read your link but that?s OK.  This outbreak has made me rethink and evaluate what I?m doing and why. At this point in time I?m thinking of selling most of my hives in the spring and down sizing to about 6 hives. The idea of an increasing work load and potentially having to use chemical treatments to control a pest saddens me. I will rely on this forum for advice and methods over the next year or so if this problem takes hold.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2022, 04:34:30 am »
Hi Les,
I'm going to wait a while before I make any decisions. Early days but I have heard other beekeepers mentioning retirement
I have a few mates here who keep bees  and we should be able to help each other.

I'm making frames and boxes at the moment - quite a few 1/2 boxes as I'm not able to lift 10frame , FD supers full of honey. Maybe the way to go - 1/2 supers.
Also thinking about making some foundation but not sure where to buy the moulds.
Interseting You Tube here with lots of Vies.
You may like it :grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjq-ilNd39M

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2022, 07:41:31 am »
Ha ha. That was my very first YouTube clip. I made a lot of foundation using that technique. Saved me a fair bit of money early on.  I?ll make my decisions early in the spring after the swarming period. Should know by then as to what?s happening.

Cheers

Les

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2022, 06:40:10 pm »
For QLD.

The following information I just received from my beekeeping club:

Survey 123. A new app just released for reporting varroa incursions as well as negative test results directly to Biosecurity QLD. The survey to report within the app is Bee 123.
You must download Microsoft Teams software first deforest down loading the app survey 123.
The app allows hive data collection from all registered beekeepers across QLD, early detection and tracing...like having thousands of trap hives across the entire state.

I see this as a very cost effective and positive move towards controlling this incursion and others moving forward. Hopefully having an app to report any findings encourages testing too. I would like to see all states take this up.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2022, 07:09:21 pm »
Yes, I got the message too and a easier follow up.
The problem is that so many Australian Beekeepers don't use e-mail or other communication technology - I don't own a mobile, simply as we have no reception here.

The avearage age of beekeepers here is above 60 - not the group which is glued to phones.
Also, I can't buy # 8 screen material so far...or the cups for a sugar shake or Alcohol wash.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2022, 10:31:55 pm »
> Also, I can't buy # 8 screen material so far...or the cups for a sugar shake or Alcohol wash.

Max as I reported earlier I had a hard time finding #8 locally here in America when I was seeking it. I do not know if the following suggestion will work but I see no reasons why it won?t. Here in America 1/4 inch Hardware Cloth is readily available in most hardware stores included major box chains such as The Home Depot and Lowes. Do you have access to 1/4 inch?

If so, what  if we were to use two layers of 1/4 inch  ?lapped together in a cross pattern or hatch pattern? This should allow the mites to pass through to the desired inspection side of our tester, while restraining donor bees in the wash side from passing through, realizing our desired motive?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2022, 12:29:36 am »
Hi Guys.

A few years ago I made a couple of top bar hives. I had the same problem in finding a small gauge mesh. In the end I found this stuff :

It?s actually a brand of gutter guard that I found at a local hardware store. It?s made from aluminium and comes in at about 7 segments to the inch. As you can see, the spaces are not square and the thickness of each aluminium section is slightly thicker than what you would see on hardware cloth. The main point is that bees did not get through it. It can be purchased in rolls up to about 250mm wide. Max, if you want a piece, PM me with your address and I?ll post a piece to you.

Cheers

Les

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2022, 01:14:13 am »
Thanks, Les and Phillip,
I'm going to town ( a much bigger town then our village!) and will check these out first.

Good idea about the gutter guard. I may have some hiding in the shed

I will also check if I can find a copy of " Honey Flora of Qld" in the second hand bookshop - supposed to be the biggest one in Qld
max
( Les, please check your PM)

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2022, 02:19:19 am »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2022, 07:52:30 am »
Les, you have the answer! 

Phillip

anything