Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Charleston, SC  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Roadie

• New Bee
Hello from Charleston, SC
« on: February 23, 2021, 03:41:09 pm »
Hey everyone.  This covid craziness over the last year has seen me start new hobbies here at home (abstract painting, rock painting, sourdough bread) to add to my current hobbies of brewing and photography.  I also decided to keep bees and took a local class in October and now have hives and equipment for the 2 packages I'll be receiving on 3/20.  I'm as new as this equipment I have and there are so many things to learn/worry about before you even start! 

Envious of you folks with land as I'm in a subdivision and have the standard subdivision backyard which will house these two hives.  No subdivision rules on insects/bees so hoping I don't run into any issues downstream.  At least we have a 6' wooden fence around the backyard for bees to come out and then fly up. 

Ordered hives/frames from a local woodworker/beek and found out at pickup time that his 8 frame hives were actually 8 frames plus space for a frame feeder, or you could run with 9 frames, the later of which is what I chose.  This 9 frame hive actually has the dimensions of an 8 frame hive so things like excluders will fit without issue.  Weird but I'm rolling with it.  Not a young man as I'll be 60 this year which is why I chose to go with 8 frames - had I known how it would turn out I may as well went with 10 frame boxes.  Deeps for brood and mediums for honey supers.  I plan on running double deeps for brood but have done some reading and watched folks with single deeps for brood and as I don't even know what I don't know yet will leave that open for a future decision.  I will be building my hive stand(s) this weekend and still unsure if I want to build one stand for both hives or build individual stands.  Yet another decision!  Also need to figure out how I will provide water for the bees so they don't go into a neighboring pool.  Boardman feeder with just plain water in it for each hive, bird bath with marbles/stones in it, etc.

Getting warm here with highs forecast in the mid-60's to upper 70's over the next 10 days.  As I have no comb on any frames I planned on feeding 1:1 in 2 quart jars for each hive under the top cover, but with the weather not sure if they will drink it or not as there should be natural sources available.

Anyway as you can tell I'm a rambler.  I'll be gleaning information from the forum which may answer some of these questions.  I also have a mentor who takes care of the hives at the Clemson extension so he has proven to be a valuable resource as well.  Thanks for the forum.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Hello from Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 05:50:14 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster, Roadie!  We love to ask and answer questions about bees, so feel free to ask away.  There are no dumb questions. 

Deeps for brood and mediums for honey supers.  I plan on running double deeps for brood but have done some reading and watched folks with single deeps for brood and as I don't even know what I don't know yet will leave that open for a future decision.  I will be building my hive stand(s) this weekend and still unsure if I want to build one stand for both hives or build individual stands.  Yet another decision!  Also need to figure out how I will provide water for the bees so they don't go into a neighboring pool.  Boardman feeder with just plain water in it for each hive, bird bath with marbles/stones in it, etc.
You are right beekeeping is just an endless string of options to sort through and decisions to make!  It's one of the things that keeps it interesting, as there are so many ways to keep bees.

This covid craziness over the last year has seen me start new hobbies here at home (abstract painting, rock painting, sourdough bread) to add to my current hobbies of brewing and photography.
Brewing and beekeeping go great together.  We have several members who are experienced with making mead.  Honestly photography, baking, and painting are all skills that can improve or be improved by keeping bees.  Although I'm not sure exactly how rock painting specifically would help with beekeeping. . . .   :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:01:47 pm »
welcome  :happy:.

8 frame boxes are not standard between different bee supply companies.  So keep that in mind when getting more equipment.  Either stick with one company or do like I do and make your own. 

Water for bees.  I would go for the bird bath with rocks.  Don't change the water.  They like the dirty water better than fresh.  They will still probably got to the neighbor's pool. :oops:

Offline Roadie

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:29:41 pm »
Brewing and beekeeping go great together.  We have several members who are experienced with making mead.

Thanks! I?ve been brewing for about 7 years and have made multiple meads.  My oldest now is a few remaining bottles of a 3 year old raspberry chipotle sack mead.

Offline Roadie

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:35:02 pm »
welcome  :happy:.

8 frame boxes are not standard between different bee supply companies.  So keep that in mind when getting more equipment.  Either stick with one company or do like I do and make your own. 

Water for bees.  I would go for the bird bath with rocks.  Don't change the water.  They like the dirty water better than fresh.  They will still probably got to the neighbor's pool. :oops:

Didn?t realize 8 frame hives weren?t standard.  Is there a way to draw the bees to the bird bath?

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:37:11 pm »
Welcome, Roadie.
I also am in a neighborhood. 4 or 5 houses look right into my backyard, and I keep three hives. Good luck to you. Glad to have you.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 09:38:02 pm »
Old water and don't let it dry up.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:47:07 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything