Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two queen hive  (Read 938 times)

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Two queen hive
« on: October 04, 2022, 09:19:41 pm »
I come across this quite regularly but normally on the same frame with both queens laying within an inch of each other. I was making queens this fall with double screen bottom board and on one that didnt mate went back in to remake. This is what I found. The marked queen from this spring and presumably the one from above that came back to the wrong entrance laying in tandem.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:29:30 am by Bill Murray »

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Re: Two queen hive
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 09:22:20 pm »
Sorry, should have read not normally.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 12:55:21 am »
Bill,
I have looked and looked and I cannot see a second queen in the picture. Where is the second one.
By the way you can go back and correct your mistakes by clicking on the Modify button in the top right side of your post.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 05:04:28 am »
Bill I can not clearly see the two queens in the picture but I am confident you seen her during this inspection session. I have read and been in discussion here, about two queens in a hive going into Fall and Winter. Could it be Natures way of assuring that the colony has a fair shot at survival in case the older queen dies or fails during the winter?

Phillip
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:12:10 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 06:45:14 am »
I agree I'm not seeing her in the picture (though maybe she's got her behind in a cell or something...) but I have seen two queens in the same hive before.  Usually it appears to be a mother/daughter, but you could be right about the wrong entrance.  I assume, though, that you mean the wrong entrance on the same hive, in which case it's a mother/daughter again.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 08:33:45 am »
Thanks Jim. I caged her with some attendant and she is now in a nuc at the house.

salvo

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 09:57:13 am »
Hi Folks,

Good video here:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1466430833849980/?s=single_unit&__cft__[0]=AZXjSlm0XDnX55TEmD8WTjL3h1b9Q41P3TNX_hd9PtoeVLYJQRXZNv2XhdEdqN6JZsTZv9mLdg3NXFcOh4Iq9aJvmqZlYhvBU7fct-Fj2B35WjFDJ7WWe-EmEMhVIkSKym2MRdHcoHLBVZGq19nEQ1Ty6Bm7pv4QLGaER7prRdGVEkmQzKNfag1e8EivwIMnX94&__tn__=H-R

Sal

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 10:53:31 am »
Great video Sal. Thanks.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything