Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee propolis viewed through stereo microscope, 8X.  (Read 1616 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Bee propolis viewed through stereo microscope, 8X.
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:08:52 pm »
The round ball in the pic is Bee propolis magnified 8 times with the aid of a Nikon stereo microscope.    A one inch mass of bee glue that I rounded into a ball.  Kinda of beautiful with all the shades of brown.  The bee glue is not sticky at this stage and is hardening by the day.

Lots of brown hues from the different plants.

When first collected the glue is soft and can be molded into any shape, like art, then hardened by the day at room temp.

I could shape like an egg then post to Youtube: what kind of egg, what is this, found in the woods.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee propolis viewed through stereo microscope, 8X.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:42:29 pm »
Wow - that is really odd looking Van. And light colored too. Is it just me - or is all the Propolis I see very dark colored ...

How did you collect it?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:47:54 pm »
So pretty!  It almost looks like a polished stone up close.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 07:14:28 am »
The color of the propolis is dependent on the type of sap that your bees are using. Mine is usually a little darker than Van?s.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:39:21 am »
Cool, I collected propolis oof frames that were in a deep.  I was just cleaning up frames and I didn?t not want to throw the glue on the ground as the propolis gets stuck on the bottom of my shoes.  So I gathered in my hand and rolled into a ball.  The smell is like lite honey, a pleasant aroma.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:46:19 am »
Another pic, no microscope.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 11:45:17 am »
That's still amazing Van.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:30:32 pm »
My bees' propolis is also much darker than this normally.  I find this time of the year to be the worst for propolis.  The girls are starting to really concentrate on sealing up the hive, but it's still very warm here, and the propolis right now is SO STICKY!  My big hive is still 4 mediums tall, and I had trouble getting the boxes separated last week. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 06:18:27 pm »
Van,
You say it smells like honey. That sounds like it might be wax.
My propolis smells a little like pine.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 11:07:58 pm »
Jim? It?s not sticky at all.  No honey and the bee glue hardens by the day.  I can no longer shape the ball.  Wax is soft and one can easily tell the difference between wax and glue..
Van

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 04:27:03 pm »
The propolis I collect is black

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 06:53:03 pm »
Propolis appears to be dark as text unanimously above, except for my area propolis.

I live in hard wood country, Ozark Hills, Not a pine tree in sight, mostly oaks.  White oak, red oak, black walnut, dog wood, redbud and sassafras [rootbeer] everywhere with a few maple and ash.  All my propolis is brown as in pic.  Some propolis, in my hives, is semitransparent light brown that is hard as a rock.

Van

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 07:29:22 pm »
Jim? It?s not sticky at all.  No honey and the bee glue hardens by the day.  I can no longer shape the ball.  Wax is soft and one can easily tell the difference between wax and glue..
Van

What do you remove with and what tinctures/ or uses do you make ?
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 09:06:21 pm »
Salty, glad you are feeling better, I know first hand the gall bladder can be a pain. Literally!!!

I use a hive tool, ordinary hive tool and scrape frames.  I have no use for the propolis other than to remove from the ground so I don?t step on the stuff.  In the humid hive the propolis remains tacky, but I find once removed the propolis hardens.  Hardens enough to bounce when dropped on the floor.

Blessings to all Beekeepers
Van

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 09:21:52 pm »
I have no use for the propolis other than to remove from the ground so I don?t step on the stuff.  In the humid hive the propolis remains tacky, but I find once removed the propolis hardens.  Hardens enough to bounce when dropped on the floor.
Okay, I'm going to have to try this now.  I'm making propolis bouncy balls next time I clean frames!  :cheesy: