Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lemon grass oil on cutout? AND- moving nuc to homeb  (Read 2990 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Lemon grass oil on cutout? AND- moving nuc to homeb
« on: September 10, 2019, 08:11:17 am »
So I?m gonna go try again - real nice double - football size hive under one story eave.cutout. 
Is it necessary to use lemongrass oil if my nuc has a queen? I?m thinking about setting the box there a day or 2 for foragers . Thanks
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:31:13 pm by saltybluegrass »
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Re: Lemon grass oil on cutout?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:45:40 am »
Is this an established colony of bees your wanting to cut out? If so they already have their own queen and won't be interested in yours.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:50:19 am »
Lemongrass oil is helpful.  It?s worth having if you can. It?s not necessary.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 11:33:39 am »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:22:30 pm by saltybluegrass »
It?s up to me

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 01:05:25 pm »
Heck yeah! Should be simple enough. Is that an open air colony or just a swarm of bees sitting there possibly moving into the soffit on that home?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 02:24:12 pm »
I can see comb so it is an established hive. I doubt that they will move into a swarm trap now. In the spring you may be able to catch a swarm from it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 02:44:38 pm »
https://youtu.be/CA6JnRvB-6I
https://youtu.be/xP1Uw3OqTao

Just went and got these
They are taped shut in a 5 f nuc box no frames. The box is sitting on the 10 frame I want to switch them to. Guess I?m orienting them a bit
in my back yard
Do I dump them in a 5 frame or take 3-4 frames out of Ten and dump rest?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:30:02 pm by saltybluegrass »
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 02:45:46 pm »
I can see comb so it is an established hive. I doubt that they will move into a swarm trap now. In the spring you may be able to catch a swarm from it.
Jim Altmiller

I?m cutting that out tonight and using my new vacuum
https://youtu.be/JSXFlKw34-U
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:04:23 pm by saltybluegrass »
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 03:30:01 pm »
Jim Altmiller
Cut out is what I?ll do
It?s up to me

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Re: Lemon grass oil on cutout? AND- moving nuc to homeb
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 03:43:59 pm »
Salty, I use a screened sub-chamber in my vac so the bees don't cluster at the suction.  You can make a second chamber from another bucket cut in half, topped with screen, and sleeved into the top (suction) chamber.  So ... the vacuum hose intake draws the bees into a different chamber than the suction mechanism pulling the air.

I find if the pressure is only just enough to pick up a rubber band, it doesn't hurt the bees.  And I have a piece of packing foam taped to the side wall where they may hit. 

Your locked-in bees are in the shade with some water-soaked sponges, right? In N Florida here,
               it's still 92*F, heat index is 102, and the thermal sensor says my driveway is 125.1 degrees. 

So happy for you you're getting these awesome big swarms.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 04:12:15 pm »
I guess instead of starting another thread - the last swarm video in neighbors tree is my concern how to convert that ball into a deep 10? 
It?s up to me

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 06:19:11 pm »
Solutions.
1.  How valuable is your beevac bucket? Maybe $5 and a trip to the hardware store?  You could cut a large hole in the bottom of it, tape it back with duct tape.   Every so often, place the bucket on top of a hive body holding a few drawn frames for the bees to cling to.  Razor off the tape, Pull away the bottom tray, let some bees drop out.  Slide an inner lid onto the hive body until the next batch o bees..

2.  I?m no expert on cutouts, but it seems agreed that getting most of the bees without vacuuming them is preferable. If you get the queen they will march in.  I used an escape board here. The robbing screen at entrance is closed. 

3.  The worst part of your cutout to me looks like the ladder work.  Somewhere I saw where a guy added a luggage straps to his bucket vac so it went over his shoulder and could go up the ladder. 

4. Yes you will get bonus bees if you leave a nuc out with a piece of their comb,  and pick it up at dusk. 

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 06:37:18 pm »
Going in the escape board lid, scenario #2 above

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 08:48:49 pm »
Salty, I use a screened sub-chamber in my vac so the bees don't cluster at the suction.  You can make a second chamber from another bucket cut in half, topped with screen, and sleeved into the top (suction) chamber.  So ... the vacuum hose intake draws the bees into a different chamber than the suction mechanism pulling the air.

I find if the pressure is only just enough to pick up a rubber band, it doesn't hurt the bees.  And I have a piece of packing foam taped to the side wall where they may hit. 

Your locked-in bees are in the shade with some water-soaked sponges, right? In N Florida here,
               it's still 92*F, heat index is 102, and the thermal sensor says my driveway is 125.1 degrees. 

So happy for you you're getting these awesome big swarms.

How do you connect / glue the buckets together
It?s up to me

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 11:47:49 pm »
Salty, I couldn't find the tutorial about the multi-bucket bee vac.  I did recall this statement:

I made a sort of hybrid.  Since I hardly need any suction, why use a vac that needs an extension cord? Battery power runs this "dustbuster" at least 40 mins, and I have a couple of these batteries since my tools system is this brand. 

Yep, that's a fancy custom-made hole in the bucket lid, haha.  When I pull off the lid, the screen below lets me mist water, or peek in at the bees.  No bees can get close to the vac intake and clog it up, because the intake hose is in the chamber below.  The lid is a sheet of 1/4" plywood with a big circle cut in it, and screened.  The screen is stapled on the outside. 

The 1/3-of-a-bucket is glued to the screened plywood.  I carry the vac with the bucket's handle.  E-6000 is the best adhesive ever but it's highly carcinogenic until it cures.  OSHA approved masks necessary and 24 hrs dry time.  Hot glue is not toxic but not entirely reliable. All raw & sharp edges are sealed with hot glue for safety.  And plenty of duct tape - is there anything it can't do?

The plywood lid is the size on a hive body.  Mine is made of two ekes made of 1x4s.  To be able to clean it after use, I put latches so it can open.  There's weather stripping to stop air gaps.  Suction can be controlled by popping the edge of bucket's lid. 

I can just use the top eke on a hive body. Or, use both ekes, then pull away the lexan panel underneath when I get them to a hive body.  The foam inside makes it a bouncy castle for bees.   :cheesy:

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 01:36:55 am »
What?s holding the port vac into lid/ bulkhead?
It?s up to me

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 02:27:32 am »
The dustbuster is just wedged in the hole cut in the lid.  It's at the correct angle, and balanced. It's the physics of compression...or "moment arm."  It's pinched tight, but can be taken out anytime, since it's above the screened catchbox.  The dustbuster doesn't tip off, if the catchbox is reasonably flat.  I suppose duct tape would secure it temporarily if the box was required to tilt.

The whole vac was under $60 to build, including pool hose section and $35 dustbuster, because I had the battery already, and fasteners, etc.

Personally if I need to use a ladder for a cutout, I would rent the correct size I need, and make sure to level the ladder on 2x8 (or larger) planks, bedded well into the ground below.  Always, safety first.  No bees are worth a severely hurt human.  A bungee could strap this vac to a ladder's work tray.  And please wear good shoes, Salty.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 02:40:59 pm »
FloridaGardener:

Ingenuity!!!  Do you have a sign on your front door GENIUS AT WORK DO NOT DISTURB?  Very smart, thanks for the photos.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 04:38:56 pm »
So I 1/4 inch drilled the down tube that is in the catch bucket. Figuring the bees couldn?t fit in those holes , I capped off the drain fitting and headed home- I though a couple bees around the interior of the car was normal - I pulled over to my two neighbor women talking g about a damaged hawk. One goes - you got a bee in your car, I said lol , I?ve got 1,000. And she screamed because, yes, they were climbing out of those minuscule holes
It?s up to me

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 06:06:35 pm »
@ Van - I can't post that sign, I'm already plenty "disturbed!" lol! :cheesy:

@Salty - yes, I duct tape the suction end of the hose. I fold the tape over first, so I don't get any bees stuck to the tape if they try to crawl back out the long dark tunnel and go into the light. 

An irrigation system fitting is hot-glued to the pipe end inside the box, so the hose won't pull away and leak precious cargo. 

The bees can't get past #8 hardware cloth.  Do you perhaps have another gap?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:22:44 pm by FloridaGardener »

anything