Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Surprise swarm in my trap?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Re: Surprise swarm in my trap?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 01:01:54 am »
Things got really strange but here?s an update:
The recent small swarm I captured, took off, but I think it went to another trap I had only a few feet from my hives. I had stopped monitoring that one for two weeks. When I looked at it, it was full and already had two hand sized white comb with a little honey. I placed them back in a homemade hive I built last year and started feeding. They?ve been there 6 days so I?m hoping they will stay! Really late in the season here in Michigan for a swarm. It?s gunna take everything to get them through the winter.
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 01:07:38 am »
I kinda see why my bees keep leaving my poverty stricken homemade hive. They will seal all the cracks right? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 11:02:58 pm »
Just witnessed another swarm here in Michigan, this late in the season. (I'll try to attach a picture) I don't know where all these bees are coming from but I'm pretty sure they are not mine. Too high for me to reach this time, but it's a good sized one. Every year for at least the past 10 years, I've seen swarms come in and go to this tree. I've witnessed a few of my own bees leave the hive and gather on this tree. I've even watched my bees leave a hive, swarm to this tree, return to the hive next to it and take it over. I've captured 2 swarms on this tree myself.

It's just a tall hickory tree. Any significance to this tree and swarms?
Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 08:15:04 am »
Flex,
I had a swarm in a tree next to my hives two days ago. It was small , too small to survive. I watched them land from the first couple of bees. I never did see a queen land on it. It is in the exact location that I had a swarm land on this tree this past spring.
Once a swarm lands on a spot, they leave enough pheromones that other swarms find for a long time.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 08:38:35 am »
Flex,
I had a swarm in a tree next to my hives two days ago. It was small , too small to survive. I watched them land from the first couple of bees. I never did see a queen land on it. It is in the exact location that I had a swarm land on this tree this past spring.
Once a swarm lands on a spot, they leave enough pheromones that other swarms find for a long time.
Jim Altmiller

That explanation makes sense. Still there. Looking at it now. I guess it?s not too unusual now you mention that.

Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 12:04:47 pm »
Flex - when I caught my first swarm 4 yrs ago, I gently cut the branch they were on, moved it over the open hive, and shook them in. Worked like a charm - having never done this before, I thought it was awesome.

Then I called my buddy/mentor to tell him about it. He yelled at me. He said NEVER cut a branch - because swarms will come to that same spot year after year.

He doesn't know the reason. But he took me to his house and showed me the various "swarm spots" in his back yard. This summer I helped him catch swarms from each of those spots - exactly as he had previously shown me. Bees are really amazing, and I don't think we'll ever truely understand them.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 11:34:06 pm »
Flex - when I caught my first swarm 4 yrs ago, I gently cut the branch they were on, moved it over the open hive, and shook them in. Worked like a charm - having never done this before, I thought it was awesome.

Then I called my buddy/mentor to tell him about it. He yelled at me. He said NEVER cut a branch - because swarms will come to that same spot year after year.

He doesn't know the reason. But he took me to his house and showed me the various "swarm spots" in his back yard. This summer I helped him catch swarms from each of those spots - exactly as he had previously shown me. Bees are really amazing, and I don't think we'll ever truely understand them.

That?s what?s happening with this tree, CoolBees. That?s where I catch my swarms with my traps, although I?m afraid of heights so my traps are only 6 feet high. Pretty amazing insects!

Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 05:07:44 pm »
3 days and they are still there at the top of the tree. Rain and all. I don't think this swarm is very smart. I hope they make it through the winter wherever they go.
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 08:43:53 pm »

That?s interesting but makes perfect sense. Wonder if you did have to cut a branch. What if you kept it and moved it to your apiary and hung it up. Might work the season.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 12:23:53 am »
Still monitoring this swarm. It?s been over a week and they are still on a branch at the top of the tree. I know it can take a few days but just wondering if they know where their final resting place is and they are waiting for the best time or they just don?t have a clue?
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 12:42:45 am »
There's a video here from a Beefest of someone banging (tanging) a bucket to get the bees to move.  My grandpa used to chime an orchestra triangle to get bees back into a hive. It would take a bit, but they would move down.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 08:08:23 am »
Still monitoring this swarm. It?s been over a week and they are still on a branch at the top of the tree. I know it can take a few days but just wondering if they know where their final resting place is and they are waiting for the best time or they just don?t have a clue?

Flex,
If the bees knew where there final home was, they would have left. As soon as they make the decision, all of the scouts have to agree on the location, the swarm starts moving their wing muscles to warm them up and in minutes they are gone.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 08:43:44 am »
Here is a link to a very in-depth study of bee swarming:
https://www.americanscientist.org/article/group-decision-making-in-honey-bee-swarms
It is very long but well worth taking the time to read.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 12:13:39 am »
Jim,
I?ll read this to satisfy my curiosity. I have a window view of this tree everyday. I always thought they would just leave the hive and go to the new place. But, they always go to this tree first and then go wherever. This tree must just be a meeting place, and they figure it out from there. Some take longer than others! Even my own bees went there and came back and took over the weak hive next to it. Weird stuff! But remember I?m still new at this but I?ll read your article for some answers.

Thank you. Jim.
Check out my Blog!:

anything