Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2020 Swarm Traps In-Situ  (Read 5070 times)

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
2020 Swarm Traps In-Situ
« on: April 13, 2020, 02:29:55 pm »
I finished building several swarm traps over the weekend--my first time at it.  Completed four of them and have enough materials on hand to make three more in the future.  I put one out already and thought I would share as well as ask for others to post photos of their 2020 swarm traps in-situ.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Re: 2020 Swarm Traps In-Situ
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 02:44:35 pm »
okay - I'm jealous! beautiful spot

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 01:44:56 pm »
ha! Thanks, Seeb.  A little slice of paradise.  But that jungle is ruthlessly aggressive and will take over your yard in a heartbeat, let me tell you.     And the rain...oh does it rain a lot.  But I do love the rain as it means waterfalls for us.  We get ~125" rain/yr, over 200+ rainy days/yr).  There are pros and cons to living in a rain forest!

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 08:44:19 pm »
I drove around this evening and checked my traps and remembered to take a few pictures.

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:45:20 pm »
One picture at a time . . .

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:53:23 pm »
One more.  I only have six out so far this year.

I should hang a few more but haven?t traveled to my farther locations since I?ve been working from home.  No catches yet this year. I?ve heard of a couple swarms in the area but it?s still early.   Dandelions just took off a couple weeks ago. May seems like the hot month for swarms here.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 01:55:19 pm »
These are great, Kevin--thanks for taking the time to take pics and post.    Matthew

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 04:23:59 pm »
Great pics - have you ever explored inside the dilapidated house in that one picture. I bet there is a treasure or two in there.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 06:28:52 pm »
I was in the old house 30 years ago when it was mostly solid. It was pretty well cleaned out then. I did catch 3 swarms in a trap on that same tree last year and thought that was a pretty good treasure.

Kevin

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 08:26:21 pm »
I love checking out these old houses, especially if I can get in the attic area. I find many treasures there.  Yep, 3 swarms is definitely a treasure

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 01:21:37 am »
Caught my very first swarm yesterday (Memorial Day)!  In that very trap I posted a picture of at the start of this thread.  I swapped out the 5 frames about a week and a half ago with some that had a fresh coat of wax on the foundation. Wondering if that gave it the appeal...
Will let them get settled in for a while before I disturb them. Would it be best to move them into a 5-frame NUC, or a 10-frame deep?

Thanks, Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 11:26:17 am »
Congratulations Matthew. That's cool that it worked out! I'd go straight for the 10 frame installation - if you have a flow coming in. Swarms can really produce wax! ... so they grow very quickly.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
2020 Swarm Traps In-Situ
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 03:12:44 pm »
Congratulations Matthew. That's cool that it worked out! I'd go straight for the 10 frame installation - if you have a flow coming in. Swarms can really produce wax! ... so they grow very quickly.
Thanks, Cool.  Definitely flow going on right now. Looking forward to moving them into their new home shortly.

Folks, this trap is about 100 yards from where I want to place it with my other hives. Should I relocate them away more than 3 miles for a week before moving them to their final location or since the entrance will have a screen in front of it at the permanent location, will they reorient okay and not go back to the old location? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk